Mister Rogers' fascinating tour inside the Crayola Crayon factory

Originally published at: Mister Rogers' fascinating tour inside the Crayola Crayon factory - Boing Boing

4 Likes

I miss Fred Rogers.

16 Likes

i remember this from when i was a kid, and this would of been on tv. i love the free jazz music. with the musicians doing the random extra SFXs

8 Likes

I remember seeing this as a kid too.

I’m convinced that nostalgia for segments like this and similar ones on Sesame Street are what convinced some executive to green-light that How It’s Made show.

4 Likes

You must love the Sesame Street segment on how they make saxophones.

10 Likes

thats a good one too!

4 Likes

Man, I have seen this in at least three phases of my life, my own childhood, my now-17 yo twins, and the Littlest Pea. Over the years I started to get a little twitchy about how he makes art on the show… it’s so sloppy. Then I realized that, just like absolutely everything else he does, it is entirely intentional. By using crayons like a toddler and folding paper fans crooked he is giving children permission to not be perfect, to experiment without trying to replicate. Honestly, his pedagogical approach was incredibly forward-thinking and fully encompassed an intuitive awareness of every child’s socio-emotional development.

9 Likes

Is he saying “Kranz” instead of Cray-ons?

2 Likes

“The greatest thing that we can do is to help somebody know that they’re loved and
capable of loving.”
-Fred Rogers

2 Likes

3 Likes

It’s maybe a Pittsburgh thing but yeah…”crayons” sounds funny to me unless it has one syllable and kind of rhymes with “man’s.”

5 Likes

Sesame Street had a visit to the crayon kran factory, too:

I didn’t remember this from when it was new; it was something I camr across with my oldest kid (who’s now in college).

4 Likes

Oh wow! I’d vaguely remembered the Mr. Roger’s clip, but though I’d seen it as a child, I had completely forgotten the Sesame Street clip. The orange whirlpool brought it right back.

I’m glad to see that two of the lynchpins of my formative years prepared me to appreciate my corporate masters :wink:

j/k, sort of, but not really. It’s interesting but in retrospect not surprising that both segments are Crayon branded. I was really interested to see that in both videos, the steps highlighted are almost identical, though the videos are quite different.

1 Like

3 Likes

Aw, don be a jagoff!

IMG_3672

Yinz wanna go dahn Permanti’s an grab a sammich n’at?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.