Mitsubishi's new fake skylights use color changing LEDs and cost $7000

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/02/11/mitsubishis-new-fake-skyligh.html

1 Like

Will this simulate the movement of the sun - and be used to make people work longer days by having the simulated sun move more slowly than the real one?

15 Likes

Product description sounds inferior to CoeLux while also more expensive.

However, I assume Mitsubishi has a massive distribution advantage selling through to building management and VAR ecosystems, where CoeLux has more or less been starting from nothing but their IP.

4 Likes

Does it do current weather or is it always sunny in “head down, back to work”?

8 Likes

ezgif.com-add-text (1)

5 Likes

Looks inset - presumably only suitable for suspended ceilings?

1 Like

I was thinking exactly the same thing. I saw a CoeLux ceiling light at Light & Build in Frankfurt a few years back, and must admit to being properly impressed. The bright panel was nice enough, but it was the clean direction and shadows that really jumped out for me. You need a decent ceiling depth (and a lot of money!) to install one, but if I were a zillionaire building a bunker I know I’d include a few.

8 Likes

Truly, we live in a dystopian hell.

4 Likes

Fake blue sky in my skylight? Is that a world worth living in?

Great. Now developers have an excuse for even shittier architecture and more depressing office blocks. That is at least what my experience as an architect and planner tells me.

6 Likes

Apocalypse must have for your zombie bunker.

4 Likes

Here’s a neat diy version using a broken tv

5 Likes

Looks like something Vault-Tec would come up with

4 Likes

I wonder how they’d compare with these $40 covers for lighting?

2 Likes

“Solutions” like this are the sad result of the market becoming accustomed to the price of buildings without windows butting up against the decades long realization that artificial lighting and conditioning can’t replace the benefits of actual windows. Like so many things, people know this sucks, but they don’t want to be responsible for going back to paying for what’s right.

5 Likes

You say dystopian hell, I say more humane living spaces for increasingly dense urban environments.

5 Likes

I say oxymoron.

There isn’t any reason why dense urban building can’t also have access to natural light.

4 Likes

I am totally going to buy this when I earn Fifteen Million Merits

2 Likes

Agree that there are ways with proper urban and building planning, but there are thousands of buildings in dense urban areas that don’t have great access to natural light. This kind of thing seems a lot more practical than demolishing buildings and starting from scratch, doesn’t it?

5 Likes