MLM recruiters turn to dating apps after exhausting Facebook, Tiktok, and Instagram

Originally published at: MLM recruiters turn to dating apps after exhausting Facebook, Tiktok, and Instagram | Boing Boing

1 Like

When I signed up for Tinder, I wanted to get screwed, but not like this… not like this…

25 Likes

17 Likes

In my experience (thankfully it has been a long time) they never call it “Amway.” It’s whatever name they (or their upstream) gave their little slice of it.

15 Likes

I guess the MLM pyramid grifters had to accept that Tinder was the domain of romance scammers* and went to Bumble as a second choice. It makes sense that they wouldn’t use Bumble’s dating section, but it’s interesting that they chose the friend-finder category over the business networking one. I suppose one of the keys to any scam is to catch the marks when they’re not thinking about money and business.

[* who knew there were so many Singaporean CEOs under age 30 who look like models and who just happen to have moved two miles from you!]

15 Likes

They turn to Congresscritters, too. No surprise which one:

19 Likes

At least when they’re not buddies with the POTUS. There’s a reason that Amway hasn’t been legally classed as a pyramid scheme since the Ford administration.

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2018/12/30/rich-richard-devos-obituary-amway-politics-2018-223306/

8 Likes

I don’t know what bothers me more, the fact the Sinema is for sale to MLM’s, or the fact that the price appears to be $10k. I mean, if you are going to act like a Bond villain, then at least hold out for Bond money!

12 Likes

Obligs

tenor

10 Likes

Hope.

11 Likes

After a long spiel involving a stick figure salesperson named Steve who she drew on a whiteboard, she finally revealed the nature of the enterprise: It was multi-level marketing giant Amway.

This is the part that infuriates me. I strongly suspect they are Amway from the get-go. They strongly suspect I strongly suspect they are Amway from the get-go. Yet they continue on as if I’m not going to be strongly annoyed by the time they get to the reveal. :angry:

10 Likes

It’s of a piece with the Nigerian 419 scams with the uncorrected spelling and grammar. It’s not that they take you for a fool but that they’re trying to figure out if you’re a big enough fool to fall for the main con game.

11 Likes

Obligs:

5 Likes

That’s what gets me too. It doesn’t cost much to buy a politician, just $5k here, $10k there, and they abandon whatever moral principles they may have held and totally fuck with our lives. It’s like Fiverr for sociopaths.

8 Likes

Someone needs to introduce her to the wisdom of Molly Ivins:

“If you can’t take their money, drink their liquor, dance with their women and still vote against them, you don’t belong in politics.”

9 Likes

God bless Molly Ivins. RIP.

4 Likes

Question? should one state they’re not an Amway salesperson on their profile or will that just make them fodder/a mark?

1 Like

Yeah, but our family still has heirloom Tupperware…and just maybe…some Avon.

3 Likes

I’d hit a new low if I ever faced rejection by an MLM recruiter—and on a dating app, no less.

2 Likes