Mnuchin: U.S. won't 'shut down the economy again' even if coronavirus cases surge

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/06/11/mnuchin-u-s-wont-shut-d.html

6 Likes

18 Likes

Then the virus will shut it down FOR him.

26 Likes

Profit over people, part deux.

13 Likes

Thou shalt have no other gods before me

goldencalf2

26 Likes

The second wave is going to be very bad in the U.S. History repeats, this time in service of late-stage capitalism.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-resources/1918-commemoration/three-waves.htm

30 Likes

I guess this makes it official. The economy is more important than the people. All hail Mammon!

24 Likes

Pretty sure it’s not up to him to make that decision

4 Likes

We’re still only in the first wave. Flattening the curve is not a 2-3 month venture, its more like a year or more process. We’ll be very lucky to not have to have rolling shutdowns again as this first wave continues to roll through the country.

15 Likes

This is what I don’t understand about “second wave” and “another shutdown” talk. We never had a lockdown to begin with, wtf they talking about. Some states did it half to three-quarter ass. That doesn’t qualify, at all.

26 Likes

I maintain the virus is killing the wrong people. Can we get one that only transfers via tailored suits, high end credit carts, playing golf, etc?

Asking for the world.

7 Likes

John Oliver plays the masochistic sex slave to a female Bond villain in his first and last action movie role…

4 Likes

“All lives profits matter.”

9 Likes

Seriously. What’s with the gloves. NTTAWWT.

2 Likes

It’s only killing 1000 people a day. Don’t be such a Nervous Nellie!

8 Likes

Some people don’t like the feel of snakeskin.

2 Likes

:notes: God money, I’d do anything for you… :notes:

nin-head-hole-black-soul

15 Likes

The Trump administration never shut anything down and they have no real say over whether the states choose to do so. If Steve Mnuchin clamps his hands over his butt cheeks and pushes them together really hard, he might be able to stop the geyser of bullshit that’s spewing out of him.

10 Likes

(Insert rhino pooping explosively.gif here)

5 Likes

And quarantines aren’t what collapsed the economy.

The stock market started to collapse before even China had wide spread quarantines. And people started losing jobs before the virus was wide spread in the US.

That these people legitimately think millions sick and dead isn’t the source of the problem is straight up disturbing.

10 Likes