Modding a recurve bow to make it quieter

You fatten yourself up in a feed lot for a week or two, then compare that with walking around in a meadow, then the lights go out.

2 Likes

The hunters I know donā€™t give two sh*ts about animal suffering, itā€™s great that you know ones that do, but ā€¦ well letā€™s just say Iā€™m sceptical.

Also ā€œlimiting animal sufferingā€ and ā€œbow-huntingā€ do not go hand in hand. In fact, hunting with riffles and ā€œlimiting animal sufferingā€ do not even go hand in hand.

1 Like

In a word, ā€œbullshitā€. Just because youā€™re killing an animal to eat it, doesnā€™t mean thereā€™s also some sort of sick obligation to torture the animal in the process. Unless, perhaps, you think hunters have nothing to do but salt the flensed flesh of their still-living prey?

Spare us the hyperbole, please.

1 Like

Have you been in a slaughterhouse anytime recently?

I definitely think there are some sick fucks in the hunting community, but there are many who take the minimisation of pain and trauma very seriously.

2 Likes

Donā€™t give me your bullshit bullshitā€¦ A bow does not have the speed or power to equal the tools used in proper slaughterhouses, meaning an animal shot with a bow will always die a slower death than an animal killed in a slaughterhouse. And that is providing the hunter shoots the animal in precisely the correct spot, otherwise the suffering is even worse. Riffles also need to hit a specific point on the animal and also will cause more suffering to an animal in almost every situation than animals killed in proper slaughterhouses.

Also, I never said hunters have a ā€œsick obligation to tortureā€, I said the ones I know donā€™t care about the lives of the animals they kill.

Iā€™ve been in a proper slaughterhouse and they did as much as they could to minimize stressing and hurting the animals before killing them and killing them was done in the fastest possible way. Not every slaughterhouse is like that unfortunatelly, but luckily in my country there are ways of checking if an animal was treated properly.

Now whoā€™s bullshitting? Donā€™t get me wrong - slaughterhouses are highly regulated to try to ensure animal welfare, but undercover activists recording abusive behaviour and non-compliance with regulations (failure to stun properly, for example) is common enough to imply that cruelty and abuse is widespread. Auditing the supply chain of meat products to consumers has also been demonstrably remiss, so I donā€™t think itā€™s possible to know very much at all about what you buy in a polystyrene tray.

1 Like

Pretty sure that she doesnā€™t bowhunt, since the only European country where it is legal is Finland. I seem to recall that Survival Lilly is in Austria?

Besides government regulations, several farmers and meat processors in my country have their processes checked and audited by ā€¦ a group of animal activists. Greatly improving the chance that the meat you buy from them has been treated well. Again, I have clearly stated that not every slaughterhouse is ā€œgoodā€, there will always be problems because you are dealing with taking the life of an animal, but there are ways of improving the quality of life of the animals you decide to eat.

1 Like

She probably doesnā€™t, if she lives in a country where bow-hunting is prohibited. However, there are very few reasons to make your bow more silent other than hunting. I donā€™t think the targets at a range care how noisy your bow is.

Perusing her channel (which is quite good), sheā€™s interested in both bushcraft and emergency survival. She seems mainly interested in these as hobbies, but very serious hobbies. She also travels abroad, thereā€™s a video in Canada, which may afford her the opportunity to bow hunt.

Personally, I havenā€™t been hunting in many years, only went a couple of times and didnā€™t really like it despite being an avid camper and hiker. But if I were going to hunt my own food, Iā€™d prefer to use a hunting rifle as itā€™s simpler all around. Then again, I can barely shoot a bow let alone shoot a bow accurately.

She also has several videos of shooting rifles. I agree rifles are much easier to make a clean kill, especially if thatā€™s what you know how to shoot. But I donā€™t think that, for example, Native American and First Nature hunters enjoyed inflicting pain for its own sake.

I canā€™t speak to the Netherlands, but (with few exceptions) US factory slaughterhouses are most definitely inhumane in their methods of killing animals, to say nothing of obscene things like removing beaks from birds.

1 Like

That might be true in most cases for larger game. Smaller game it is often pretty instant. And Iā€™ve known larger game to drop dead from a CNS shot.

But anyway, the death by a hunter with a decent shot is going to be shorter than just about anything it could hope for in the wild. How do wild animals die? It isnā€™t hooked to a morphine drip surrounded by loved ones. They get sick or injured and wither away slowly until they die or a predator kills them.

Predators killing large game usually isnā€™t super pretty either. Just watch your National Geographic or Americaā€™s Wild Kingdom videos. There is the chase, the capture, and the kill. The kill can some times take a long ass time. Some times they start digging in before you are dead, as Iā€™ve seen lions eating a water buffalo while it is still alive.

Deer mainly have to contend with coyotes, who pick of the weak and old and especially fawns, but they can even bring down full sized bucks if they get hungry enough and use more than one member. Nature isnā€™t painless and life feeds on life. Hunters have a duty to hunt ethically in both their methods and tools and taking shots that match their abilities.

1 Like

Yeah, people bleeding out after a car wreck also donā€™t die a pleasent death, but that hardly justifies killing them before they get in an accident. Besides, by hunting animals, you donā€™t remove the other ways animals can die, you just introduce another one to an already rich tapestry of deaths. Sure, the animal you shoot might have otherwise died horribly being ripped apart by wolves. But it might also have died of old age (which, surprisingly, also happens in nature). It might have died after giving birth to new generations. And even after you, as a hunter, shoot an animalā€¦ Its natural predators will still be around and your killā€™s family members have just seen their chances of being eaten increase.

In the Netherlands (and by extension the EU) it is a mixed bag, there are good places and there are bad places. That makes it all the better to have a system in place where farms and slaughterhouses that allow themselves to be checked regularly by animal rights groups get rewarded.

What do you think this means? Falling asleep in a field and joining the Rabbit God like in Watership down?

I am sure that happens some times, but more often if they arenā€™t picked off by a predator, they starve to death as they are unable to find food or die by the elements.

2 Likes

Yes because in a survival situation we will all have our quick release gloves (and recurve bow) on usā€¦

Yes, Iā€™m not saying that nature cannot be harsh, but again, as a hunter you are not removing the cruelty of nature. You are simply adding the cruelty of humans. You are taking away the opportunity of an animal to live out its life normally and die in a natural way (even if that way might be horrible). You take away the animalā€™s ability to play its natural part in nature, whether that is the part of mother or father, or simply the part of food.

Out of curiosity, for how long have you been a Jain?

3 Likes

Excuse me?

Feel free to tell us all how hunting is not ā€œnaturalā€. Try REAL hard. You might want to inform predators in general, however. And guess what? If you eat your prey, itā€™s FOOD.

Hint: Humans are also animals and as a species, weā€™re predators.

3 Likes

Um - humans are nature too. And most hunters help the animal fulfill their role as food.

Life feeds on life feeds on life feeds on lifeā€¦

And herbivores are known to get a protein snack when they can. Iā€™ve seen deer eat birds, for an example.

3 Likes