Found: 6,000-year-old feathered dart coated with secretion from beaver's anal sac

Originally published at: Found: 6,000-year-old feathered dart coated with secretion from beaver's anal sac | Boing Boing

2 Likes

Someone did a taste test didn’t they.

7 Likes

Yessir, learn sumpin’ new everyday.

3 Likes

Fun fact - beaver anal sac secretion is used to make some kinds of artificial vanilla flavoring.

yum.

13 Likes

Lucky for you, Tamworth Distilling has brought back Eau de Musc for a second bottling.

I’ve got a bottle, it’s quite tasty.

3 Likes

The annals of history never cease to amaze!

I always wonder when about these types of discoveries. I mean who in the ancient world thought of this first? Was it a dare? Were the beavers in on it? Were there discussions?

“castoreum is a sticky, semi-liquid paste and becomes solid with a waxy to resinous texture as it dries,” according to the study.

sooo… it was used as a ‘glue’ to stick/align the feathers to the dart? (or fletch them, if you will?)

5 Likes

6 Likes

Anals?

10 Likes

I corrected your typo. :wink:

Another typo, for sure. (As @NukeML also just pointed out)

4 Likes

16 Likes

The researchers aren’t sure why the anal secretion was applied to the dart

Because someone shot a beaver?

Come and listen to my story about a man named Jed
A poor hunter-gatherer, barely kept his family fed,
And then one day he was shootin at some food,
And up through the butt come a bubblin crude.

5 Likes

But can it be used to make a tuna sandwich?

3 Likes

Boring! I’m imagine them trying to stuff a beaver into a blowgun. Vicious when it connects, but take a lot of air to shift it.

7 Likes

I don’t know how difficult it is to harvest actual vanilla beans but surely it isn’t that difficult.

4 Likes

Actually,

3 Likes

Oh man, that’s great, been wondering where I put that.

Nope, you paid extra for that natural vanilla flavor.

1 Like

The what of history?

1 Like

Who said it’s difficult? You just have to find a beaver who likes that kind of thing and ensure it provides active and vigorous consent.

4 Likes