Robot spy beaver catfishes real family of beavers

Originally published at: Robot spy beaver catfishes real family of beavers | Boing Boing

2 Likes

Fun fact: the outer enamel of beaver teeth is iron-based, whereas our comparatively soft teeth have magnesium. So their teeth are red for the same reason our blood is red.

https://news.northwestern.edu/stories/2015/02/making-teeth-tough-beavers-show-way-to-improve-our-enamel-

5 Likes

The design of the beaver dam and lodge is a great piece of animal engineering-- I always liked how the entrance to the lodge is underwater, which limits predator access.

1 Like

That was delightful and adorable…

… but the camera puppet sitting on a tree stump reminded me a lot of the old D&D monster, Wolf-in-sheep’s-clothing.

Wolf-in-sheep's-clothing

3 Likes

Wonderful creatures.

2 Likes

Is it known how the relationship between the beavers and the teeny work-experience beavers works? They seem overt enough about what they are doing to suggest that it isn’t just ‘rats hard to remove from your structures’ the way it is with humans; but do they have particular specialty functions that make them actively useful; or are they just not burdensome enough to justify the energy costs of chasing them?

2 Likes

Muskrats are very good at keeping the kits entertained with songs, jokes, dances and magic tricks.

2 Likes

I was led to believe that beavers and muskrats were not natural friends, and that muskrats would raid beaver huts to snack on baby beavers. Hmmm.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.