Model makers Kayte Sabicer and Adam Savage build a jaw-dropping replica of the Blade Runner blimp

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/01/02/modelmakers-kayte-sabicer-and.html

11 Likes

Well ho-lee sheet. That’s impressive. I’m ready — Let’s go off-world to the colonies!

7 Likes

Saw this yesterday and the model is just great. I’m not a fan of the base, but it is the most practical solution… personally i would have liked something that looked like the blimp was docked but there’s nothing inherently wrong with the base that was used. My other thought was that the screens used look too clear, at least a video filter/effect should’ve been used to make it look more the part of a big billboard screen. Minor observations but really the actual thing they made is bad ass.

13 Likes

Shimano Demengaz corporation…

2 Likes

9 Likes

Spot the Millenium Falcon…

5 Likes

About 5 cm to the left oft that one thing?

Spot the pencil sharpeners…

3 Likes

Good one. Are they the things under the central man’s hands? I was a bit distracted by the plastic pint glass dispenser spread across the ceiling.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Well spotted!
It’s just an off the shelf Dahle 322 for technical pencils.
Dahle322
They had no budget, but a good production designer, Rolf Zehetbauer (who later won an Oscar and a BAFTA for his work for Cabaret). He used whatever he could find from water taps to electric irons and somehow make it work.

834_17_RaumpatrouilleOrion19

834_19_RaumpatrouilleOrion22

3 Likes

Rolf certainly had a talent.
I grew up making models and scenery from junk and polystyrene packaging, I love that repurposing of things as props anx set dressing. Even now I see movies or games and think how I could make it from spares from the bits box.
I blame Blue Peter.

3 Likes

Sometimes reality is so much simpler and more direct than fiction.

capture

@Tamsin_Bailey Sticky-backed Plastic?

@FGD135 & @haineux That is some great work by the production designer.

I like the street cleaner parked on the entrance ramp of Hadley’s Hope in “Aliens”.

2 Likes

3d51b8ad66af081124dddc3a1c6fbd4720569053v2_00

5 Likes

I do love gribbles on models.

1 Like

Yeeees, Raumpatroullie Orion is my jam!
This show actually startet a few weeks before Star Trek.

2 Likes

Be careful of C-beams!

2 Likes

C-beams are only dangerous when coated with glitter.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.