Modem noise spectrogram

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/11/30/modem-noise-spectrogram.html

5 Likes

futurama-bender-neat

3 Likes

Déjà vu:

4 Likes

She has quite a lot of neat stuff on her site, including a way to embed a data burst into the sound of a police/referee whistle.

4 Likes

Olden times, how I miss them.

3 Likes

The evolution of the modem handshake dictates that the modulation methods grow more advanced as the handshake sequence progresses. That DTMF dialing was a precursor, but it didn’t use ones and zeroes.

Being an old fart, I remember (1976) when it was just the first tone on the handset of the acoustic-coupled modem. (Our school’s fancy 1200 baud Bell 212 modem was wired into a high-grade phone line, so we didn’t get to hear it.)

Watching an old PC boot from BIOS into DOS into Windows reflected a similar evolution that users got to relive every time they turned on the machine.

4 Likes
3 Likes

I have a modem handshake as primary ringtone just for the looks and comments when people hear it. The sound also reminds me how far computers have come since I started with them as a wee lad in sunny 1980’s America.

3 Likes

If I had the wall space, I’d totally blow this up into a poster:

I still can recite AT commands off the top of my head even though I haven’t used an actual modem in probably 2 decades.

+++ATH0

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.