Modern bathroom design is a direct response to pandemic planning

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/04/25/modern-bathroom-design-is-a-di.html

4 Likes

I spent a considerable time living in a third-world country. There were two things they had heard foreigners did, but those were things they thought were so incredibly filthy, they could hardly believe it. The first thing was, they had a toilet inside their house (they had outhouses, or for the poorer folk, outside somewhere). The second one was, they had dogs inside their house (local dogs were semi-feral, and a long way from clean).

17 Likes

Yes, there is quite a good/readable book by historian Nancy Tomes discussing how germ theory changed things like bathroom and kitchen design:

7 Likes

The contractors I’d hired to renovate my bathroom were not so good on timeliness or communication before the pandemic started. And it only got worse from there.

7 Likes

now i’m thinking about you pooping Thom. thanks

2 Likes

That man is hilarious and intense, I watched that to the end, and I have no idea who he is or what show that is.

I am intrigued.

2 Likes

Jamie, “the crossest man in Scotland”, is a recurring character in Armando Iannuci’s TV series “The Thick of It” and his movie “In the Loop”. His claim to fame is being an even more terrifying and profane bully than his boss Malcolm Tucker, the PM’s head of communications.

6 Likes

Indoor toilets were a little rare in the UK until the middle of the 20th century…

7 Likes

My sweetie has installed four different toilets in her Animal Crossing house’s bathroom. It’s a thing of beauty! The flush toilet actually works (your food-eaten level drops to 0 when you sit on it), which brought the Taro Gomi book to mind.

2 Likes

Imagine how my neighbors felt as I walked past them all on my way to the bathroom every day

1 Like
1 Like

No mention of bidets?

3 Likes

Oh, wow! I had that exact toy bathtub and toilet for my 11 1/2 inch branded fashion dolls when I was a kid!

2 Likes

Off topic (unless it all happens in a bathroom) but: all the best to you and especially your wife for the birth of your baby, @thomdunn!

4 Likes

Everyone Poops has log been recognized as irresponsibly wrong with factual content.

It is common knowledge that two-humped camels make one-humped poops.

a centralized sewage system will be better for your sanitation, and you shouldn’t worry about the shit from other peoples’ shit infecting your home.

I’m more worried about what comes out of the tap. I grew up with well water and a septic system, and reports like the one below make me wish it was possible to have a similar setup where I live now:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.