Modern-day Carry Nation singlehandedly destroys shelves of liquor

Send in Bruce Willis!

1 Like

I assumed there was a reference to Stephen King’s “Carrie” in there, given the carnage. (But apparently Carry Nation was also known as Carrie Nation. So…)

2 Likes

Have a friend who was in a fraternity in college. They were using paper plates mostly because they only had one intact dinner plate left. All the others had been broken.

After one meal when my friend used the one plate he said “screw it I’m not washing this!” And threw the plate to the ground.

It skipped like a flat stone on a calm pond shattering the sliding glass door. The plate was fine.

8 Likes

This was a couple of years ago. Apparently, the arrest was not just for smashing up the place, and eventually she was forced to get help.

4 Likes

That puts Willem Defoe’s recent performance on SNL in a different light

2 Likes

Thank you for the details. It’s painful to watch. It’s not just someone losing their temper. This is clearly someone unwell who feels they have reached a point where it doesn’t matter. I’m glad she’s getting help.

3 Likes

Here’s some quickly replaceable property being damaged, barely the money equivalent of a single car crash, and probably insured against. Alcohol kills 3,000,000 people (!) every year and ruins and blights the lives of many millions more and their families. It’s addictive and more destructive than all other recreational drugs combined. I can easily imagine many good reasons for this woman to do as she did. Maybe a drunk driver killed her little daughter. Maybe her drunken lout of a husband just gambled away all their savings or slapped her face and/or merely bellowed viciously at her through a locked bathroom door one too many times while she huddled behind it, weeping. Maybe she came to a realization of the harm from her own drinking and, despairing of not being able to ever give it up, just snapped. People speak of waste-- “what a waste, all those bottles”-- I’m thinking of the blithe waste of production of all that poison in the first place, regardless of whether it ends up clean and fresh on that floor or mixed with vomit on a hundred other floors and in the street.

1 Like

Remember those ladies holding back all the wine during the Fukushima earthquake? They would have kicked her ass!

Open Carry by the looks of it.

1 Like

You’re getting rather specific there…

1 Like

I mean, the follow-up articles about it have her mentioning specifically the issues a lot of folks are having during a COVID pandemic. Mental health, unemployment, rampant racism (on her part), etc.

All that being true, prohibition never works. We need to have greater help for people with substance abuse disorders, and a society that does not encourage self-medicating via substances. It might also help if more people felt like they had meaningful work, community, and weren’t constantly on the edge of disaster…

Banning alcohol (or anything like that really) never helps, it only exacerbates the problem… the prohibition era caused a major spike in organized crime and modern prohibition has contributed to the modern incarceration problem (which is racially based).

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.