Crime funnies: helmeted robbers' sledgehammers can't break jewelry store glass

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/07/26/curses-foiled-again.html

2 Likes

Needs some sound. How about this?

I am guessing its lexan sandwiched glass.

8 Likes

This reminds me of two things:
One was an event when a teenage would-be burglar threw a brick at a window which, because the window was covered in 6mm Makrolon [a brand of polycarbonate], bounced off and knocked him out. His mother then attempted to sue the Council who owned the building for not having a warning (she lost.)
The other, years ago, was a church which decided that it needed to exhibit its very valuable silver. It was placed in a steel safe let into a wall with inch thick armour glass in front of it. Viewing was by a narrow corridor between that wall and another one - also of rather heavy stone blocks. The idea was that while the glass could be destroyed by a heavy blow from a hammer or an axe, there was not room in the gap to swing one. On the other hand, explosive would almost certainly bring the ceiling down and block access long enough for the police to arrive. I was highly impressed with the ingenuity.

7 Likes

The glass was actually breaking, very reluctantly. If they had just a tiny bit more patience and each of them focused on a single spot, they probably could have made a couple holes big enough to reach in and grab some stuff. But no, too much adrenaline/caffeine, so they kept changing the point of attack, never making a big enough hole to actually get at the loot, until they ran out of time.

Just goes to show that despite all the glamorous heist movies, robbing banks and jewelry stores (or any place that deals with enough valuables that they can afford to max out on modern security precautions) remains a really, really dumb crime.

5 Likes

The only good ones require a Chinese acrobat to be used somehow.

6 Likes

Quibble: “glass” really should be in scare quotes. That stuff is armor-grade polycarbonate. Wonderful stuff.

They’d have done (much) better to use heat.

1 Like

Or use tools to remove/destroy the metal frame holding in one of the panes of “glass.” But they didn’t do their homework, so they came prepared to smash stuff, only to discover that no, sorry, no can smash.

4 Likes

Malaysian Crossfit is weird.

23 Likes

WOD cross fit is good for you.

When the one thief started to reach into the small hole in the glass to grab stuff, I cringed a bit. I’ve seen that one before, except the subject is usually a squirrel or raccoon too greedy to let go of a nut in the trap…

2 Likes

They were pounding hard enough to shake the security camera. That must have been noisy.

1 Like

Cost of replacing that glass: enormous.

Presumably insured?

1 Like

“The case is being investigated under Section 393 of the Penal Code for armed robbery.”

APB on that snazzy pair of pink oxfords?

@doctorow again I am amused beyond words at the actual URL of the main site article vs. the title.

2 Likes

Ha! Happy to be of service.

2 Likes

You could buy an airplane, if you just grab that jewelry
You could buy a steam train, if you’d just smash that glass
But not with that sledge hammer

5 Likes

“Curses, foiled again?”

2 Likes

“We need a bigger hammer.”

1 Like

OK, so, back before I knew better I used to smash CRT tubes with sledge hammers. The fortuitous mixing came after getting off of work with aforementioned hammer, and seeing a CRT in a gutter.

BAM Zzzzzzap tinkle tinkle smoke.

Golly that was fun! Really incredibly toxic and I know now why electronics recyclers CHARGE to take your old TV set. But hoooeee was it fun. That is until one evening when I left my sledge at home and was only left with a wooden baseball bat.

I took a jogging overhead swing at a monitor positioned to stare at the sky during it’s final moments and almost knocked myself unconscious as the bat PWRRAANGED back up toward my face. The vibration from impact numbed my hands to the elbows. The glass of the tube was completely unmarked. Thus was my introduction to the importance of hardness in one’s choices of striking implements.

Owie. Just remembering this story makes my wrists ache.

1 Like