Crime funnies: helmeted robbers' sledgehammers can't break jewelry store glass

Any physics geeks/material engineers want to weigh in on whether this technique would be likely to work in real life?

They should have switched to the metal muntins - they’d have bent & popped the glass out.

1 Like

Ah! We had a French version in 1963 as well!

2 Likes

Red Helmet is obviously the little brother of one of the ringleaders. He just rushes over and watches. I don’t even think his hammer is loaded.

2 Likes

so this was just a smash, not a smash and grab.

2 Likes

Which would be fun if the insurance company demanded the installation of that glass to protect 10 bucks worth of jewelry (presumably insured too).

1 Like

More of a just bounce.

1 Like

No. I don’t know what safety glass the counter in the above video uses, but if the Tower of London displays the real Crown Jewels (or even expensive replicas which seems more likely), then they probably use layered polycarbonate like is used on armored diplomatic vehicles. Those are designed to stop high-powered sniper rifles and deflect blast debris. Using a diamond to concentrate a strike from a fire extinguisher just might leave a visible scratch in the outermost layer that you could see if you looked really closely. You could whale away on it all day and you wouldn’t break it. Shaped plastic explosives would be your best bet.

Here’s a video of bulletproof “glass” stopping the first round from a rifle designed to go through modern tank armor (the subsequent rounds go through after it’s weakened)…

This:

or this:

1 Like

Sorry I like the original better. Or if not original, the older version.

3 Likes

You mean like little hand held sledges? A good point would be that they had appropriate tools, but were just attacking the wrong part of the display.

Burglaring [quote=“Glaurung, post:4, topic:104954”]
banks and jewelry stores
[/quote]

Sledges would be more likely to crimp the metal frame, I’d think, making it impossible to get the glass out. No, I was thinking of a nice power saw with a metal cutting blade, slice the window frame out, suction cup the glass and yank it off the display, then gather the loot.

Heh. The sledge I use most for knife smithing is a 2.2# one (not very big). You’d be surprised just how much metal that thing can move.

I’d bet that one good hit on the edge could deform it enough (and separate it from the polycarbonate) to just peel the whole top sheet of poly up. The frame is definitely the weak point of this set up.

Looks like Daft Punk has fallen on hard times.

1 Like

I prefer Yakety Sax:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.