Modern rap critiqued

[Read the post]

3 Likes

If thereā€™s good rap out there, Iā€™m one person whoā€™s never taken the time to sift for it through the piles of garbage. If any devotees would like to broaden my horizons, please recommend something. As a guideline: I strongly dislike violence, narcissism, misogyny, complaining, separatism, and machismo; other than that, itā€™s pretty much open territory.

A whole youtube channel of rap humor, eh?

I liked this one.

Which reminds me of this, which I liked even better.

8 Likes

On another bbs I inhabit someone asked the same question and the consensus was Jurassic 5 was a good place to start. I got some from the library and it was good stuff. De La Soul is also pretty awesome for that kind of thing. Current stuff? Umm hell I dunno. Parenthood and middle age kind of ruin ones idea of current.
There is also Deltron 3030 which is more on the geeky side of things.

4 Likes

Entry point:

1 Like
3 Likes

MC Frontalot

5 Likes

There is, but Iā€™m with you. I realized how out of the loop on rap I was when Pitchfork praised Liā€™l Wayne as the most talented rapper alive, and all I could hear was a guy mumble-speaking about sizzurp. Sorry, Liā€™l Wayne.

Iā€™d recommend checking out the previously mentioned Deltron 3030 and Jurassic 5 as well as Lyrics Born/Quannum. I dug the tune Jurassic 5 did with DJ Format a few years back.

3 Likes

8 Likes

Macklemore?

A Tribe Called Quest. Little dated, but itā€™s great.

7 Likes

Why not Iggy Azalea? Or maybe heā€™d like Vanilla Ice? I hear heā€™s dopeā€¦

Actually, Macklemore ainā€™t so bad. He seems like a decent dude.

2 Likes

If thereā€™s good rap out there, Iā€™m one person whoā€™s never taken the time
to sift for it through the piles of garbage. If any devotees would
like to broaden my horizons, please recommend something.

I suppose I keep peeking at Hip Hop Family Tree because I hope to one day encounter such a revelation. It hasnā€™t happened yet.

2015-01-06

ETA:

2012-04-23

1 Like

If you canā€™t handle a little narcissism and bravado, then rap probably isnā€™t for you. Ego is a significant part of the art formā€”the cultivation of a personal style is the essence of it. I recommend the documentary ā€œSomething From Nothing: The Art Of Rapā€ as a good starting point, if youā€™re sincerely interested in understanding and appreciating rap.

2 Likes

Here are some rap songs I enjoyā€¦ Iā€™m not expert, but this is what I like, for what itā€™s worth.

Queen Latifah:

Biz Markie:

OutKast:

Digable Planets:

De La Soul:

Grand Master Flash & Furious Five:

Arrested Development:

Killer Mike:

Sorry for any duplicates of other postsā€¦

11 Likes

No mention of Public Enemy? (Showing my age.)

12 Likes

I was going to put PE on my list, but I didnā€™t think @SomeDude would approve. they are the standard bearer of politically aware hip hop, still to this day, I think.

12 Likes

Isnā€™t the latest Kendrick Lamar album meant to be good/important?

(I have it, but havenā€™t listened to itā€¦)

3 Likes

It is, and it has some amazing stuff thatā€™s very worth listening to. But like PE, itā€™s sort of ā€˜advanced studiesā€™ political hip-hop; not the best entry point. Kind of like recommending Ornette Colman or Miles Davis to someone curious about jazz.

4 Likes

ā€¦and I just started listening to Miles Davis to learn about jazz.

4 Likes