Mohamed Al-Fayed, billionaire ex-owner of Harrods who feuded with royal family, dead at 94

Originally published at: Mohamed Al-Fayed, billionaire ex-owner of Harrods who feuded with royal family, dead at 94 | Boing Boing

5 Likes

“Harrods is my pyramid,” he declared in 2004, then sold it to the Qatari royal family for more than a billion pounds.

At least tell us that his tombstone will be a (very tasteful!) pyramid shaped mausoleum (with Anubis attending) …?

apparently it is - some-what …sort’ve more a pergola pyramid-ish

4 Likes

And uncle by marriage of murdered journalist Jamal Khashoggi.

9 Likes

Not in my jurisdiction, lady!

3 Likes

How can you forget about his statue of Michael Jackson, which was outside Craven Cottage and confused football fans for a few years.

Lots of football teams have statues of their club legends, but Michael only went to watch one Fulham game.

4 Likes

Tiny Rowland, his unlucky rival for the purchase of Harrods, had self-published a pamphlet titled “A Hero from Zero” purporting to show Al Fayed had embezzled money from Haiti, and later wormed his way into the confidence of the Sultan of Brunei, finagled a power of attorney and used that to buy Harrods.

Also, fun fact: Dodi al-Fayed was one of the producers of Chariots of Fire.

5 Likes

I expect the next edition of Private Eye will be suitably scathing. They had a long-running feud with Fayed, who never liked their critical coverage of him and his business interests- he hated them so much that he brought out a rival magazine for about a decade, trying to undermine their circulation.

5 Likes

Ha! Even my browser auto-translate struggles with AmtDeutsch. I don’t feel so alone. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

And brother-in-law of arms dealer Adnan Khashoggi.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.