This Hummer is so giant it doubles as a 2-story apartment

Originally published at: This Hummer is so giant it doubles as a 2-story apartment | Boing Boing

1 Like

He got his nickname – the Rainbow Sheikh – because he once commissioned an entire fleet of Mercedes S-class in every colour of the rainbow.

Do I need to comment on the cognitive dissonance here? (Although I guess he bought the Mercs before rainbows became something the sheikhs of Araby took a dislike to.)

Also (ok, so it’s Clarkson - who is an arse) but this clip from the BBC shows the rainbow Mercs and the world’s biggest pick-up - also a mobile apartment.

ETA Also note how the youths in the Hummer video walk right by the old pick-ups, ignoring them.

8 Likes

IMG_3730

18 Likes

You’re not too familiar with Emirati elites are you? :joy::joy::joy:

7 Likes

What a complete waste of everything!

11 Likes

Good luck explaining this one, future alien archaeologists.

11 Likes

Some kind of girly-man vehicle, you need one of these:
1970 Larc Lx for sale. View price, photos and Buy 1970 Larc Lx #166426 (dailyboats.com)

2 Likes

To me the real question is HOW? I.e. how does someone who is mentally a child (with the lack of sense, lack of taste, and selfish sociopathy of a child) end up with 20 billion dollars. (And the obvious answer, of course, is that they inherited it.) With that as a starting point, things like this emerge naturally.

6 Likes
8 Likes

Parks like a dream!

4 Likes

13 Likes

Off-topic… but… how come these don’t show up in zombie shows? It seems like a great solution for a small community looking to be on the move, but protect itself from the zombie hoards… the biggest problem would be fuel, yeah? Which even in the zombie apocalypse that would not be an insurmountable issue? :thinking:

The Walking Dead Zombies GIF by AMC Latinoamérica

7 Likes

… but where do I park it after Burning Man is over

7 Likes

… I’m sure AMC would love one of those but this was all they could afford

258964328 Ultimate Zombie Apocalypse Rig? MRAP From Fear The Walking Dead

4 Likes

The Enclave did convert one into a cool base in Fallout 3; but I’m not aware of any other fictional conversions of it.

In practice, I’m not sure whether the 125.7 gallon per mile fuel economy, the 1MPH top speed, or the limited number of roads a 6 million pound vehicle can operate on would disappoint one’s plucky band of survivors first.

3 Likes

Snl Season 47 GIF by Saturday Night Live

Never mind! I think I found my answer!

Although I think that would likely be less of a concern… not like there is anyone doing upkeep on roads… more useful out in the boonies, vs. a city?

4 Likes

Fuel doesn’t last forever- surprisingly short time.

2 Likes

Wood gas! Just chop down the forests and your problem is solved! Or if it’s diesel those can burn vegetable oil if needed

(hunkers down for inevitable “well-actually”)

4 Likes

I think the YA series/movie you’re looking for is Mortal Engines.

london fight GIF by Mortal Engines Movie

4 Likes

I always think of those giant mining trucks - they’re electric now, so all you need to do is build a tower faced with solar panels on the back instead of carrying around hundreds of tons of rock, and you have power and a fair amount of residential space. The vehicles can go up to 60kph, but even if the solar cells aren’t providing full power, it’ll still manage at least a steady crawl, and add some on-board electric bikes/motorcycles and you’re set for quick trips…

2 Likes