Dubai has a whole junkyard of supercars

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/11/09/dubai-has-a-whole-junkyard-of-supercars.html

6 Likes

Charming. Is it next to the dump for used bone saws and amputated limbs?

10 Likes

Seeing all those wrecked trust-fund cars makes me think they should change the name of the country to Douche-bai.

15 Likes

I had not heard of Supercar Blondie; went into it thinking it was sexpot + dudebro car channel, but no, she knows her stuff and is enthusiastic about it. I still prefer the realistic car repair channels, such as Bad Obsession Motorsport and This Week With Cars, but yes, it’s a fun watch. Thanks!

8 Likes

Supercar blondie gets a lot of crap from douchebros. So I really want to like her just to even the score. But I find her videos kind of empty, without any insight into the vehicles she’s driving, not that she doesn’t necessarily have insight, it’s just not part of her videos. They’re mostly just her slowly driving a vehicle, or pointing out some aesthetic features. Meh.

2 Likes

You seem to be mistaking Dubai and/or the United Arab Emirates for Saudi Arabia.

6 Likes

They have the same problem on a Quebec island, but the cars aren’t as nice.

3 Likes

As climate change bears down on the world, a petro-state with billions of dollars of cash laying around for its citizens while the work of the country is largely performed by imported slave labor, a junkyard sits filled with millions of dollars of ultra-modern toys that rich princelings with nothing better to do abandoned after they broke. This is right out of an early Neal Stephenson novel.

15 Likes

And the significant difference is?

In this case, Dubai is not responsible for the assassination and dismemberment of journalist Jamal Khashoggi, which is what the post seems to be a reference to.

There is plenty to criticize Dubai for, but it’s not Saudi Arabia. The Middle East isn’t a single country.

2 Likes

Or ex-pats dumping them on the way out of the country to avoid debt (which incurs imprisonment).

2 Likes

Cool to see the sloppy sewing on the airbags in the Mercedes. Such a contrast with the meticulous finishes.

1 Like

And she needs to fire her camera operator. A rank amateur who doesn’t understand that people want to see the cars. I’ve seen small children with better camera skills. Not even a hack, just someone who doesn’t have the first clue what he is doing. It actually pissed me off how bad he is.

6 Likes

It’s been a long time since Dubai was a petro state. Less than 1% of its GDP is from oil production. The rest of what you wrote is fairly accurate, though.

So $50,000 for a junker. How much do those things cost new?

I wish the same was true for the video linked in the article… the dudebro literally greets the viewer with “hey bros” and “eyyooo” and lots of that. Hurts my ears. No surprise then that they went straight for a Lambo.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.