Mister Bone Saw got a standing ovation at Davos in the Desert

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/10/24/standing-o-for-mbs.html

3 Likes

journalists from Sky and RT, and others

I’m sure that Sky still has a lot of managers who are holdovers from the Murdoch days. RT, of course, is in the business of making excuses and apologies for another regime that murders journalists.

“It’s just noise to me,” said Michael Slater, who runs the Middle East and Africa investment business for Northern Trust and is based in Riyadh. “The people I need to see are here, and that’s what I care about.”

This sums up the shameful but expected behaviour of the bankers. They’re in KSA as much to ensure that their UHNWI Saudi clients who are loyal to the butcher-prince stay on with them as they are to scout out new investments.

13 Likes

Did they have a choice? I’d be fearful of being singled out for not clapping in that situation.

7 Likes

If they’re attending they’ve already shown their true colours and might as well go all-in on showing respect to Prince Bone Saw.

14 Likes

Odessa_TX_Oil_Well_with_Lufkin_320D_pumping_unit

What saw?

13 Likes

Yeah, everybody in attendance was even more dramatically self-filtered for sycophancy and a willingness to kowtow to evil for money than is usually the case.

11 Likes

Kill thousands of civilians in Yemen and nobody care, kill one saudi journalist and everybody is up in arms. It’s a strange world.

8 Likes

Is anyone surprised? What do you think would happen if someone booed him?

4 Likes

…it made the Saudi royal family into international pariahs, even among the plutocrat class who had fattened themselves off of Saudi money.

Across the street from my office there is a gas station, and I can see the people from here, scornfully filling up their tanks. Take that, wicked prince!

3 Likes

“The people I need to see are here, and that’s what I care about.”

Some of the best people, ladies and gentlemen of the world. Don’t bother weeping, they will just bottle your tears and sell them back to you.

8 Likes

And that kind of fear is how this is able to happen. Not that I’m some kind of brave man – I’m very afraid of dying. But if we don’t want all of these kinds of assholes to run roughshod over us and our children, we have to find the courage to end their fuckery.

“One death is a tragedy; one million is a statistic.”

It has been for ages.

8 Likes

I saw what you did there!

4 Likes

No one wants to die. You too would stand and applaud.

2 Likes

A little bit of history repeating…

8 Likes

9 Likes

Chilling. This is why we do everything we possible can to restrain psychopathic people that would do this.

2 Likes

“Mankind was my business. The common welfare was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, benevolence, were all my business. The dealings of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!”

― Charles Dickens, A Christmas Carol

The article doesn’t say whether these journalists were applauding or just doing their job and reporting on what is obviously a newsworthy event.

It also doesn’t say whether it was the UK Sky News (which really isn’t too bad), The completely awful Australian Sky News, or – most likely – Sky News Arabia.

Whatever Sky News it was, I would hope they didn’t stand or applaud, but if it was your most likely case I’ll bet they did. Kow-towing to this garbage family is part of the price of doing business in Arabia.

1 Like

Edit:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-saudi-investment-forum/back-to-the-future-saudi-investor-forum-saved-by-old-mainstay-oil-idUSKCN1MZ2A9

“Saudi Arabia’s investment forum was designed to showcase the kingdom’s new future away from oil, but it was black gold and old allies that rescued this week’s event from the furor over the killing of journalist Jamal Khashoggi”

"Asked by reporters about the impact of the Khashoggi killing on Aramco, chief executive Amin Nasser answered with a question of his own: “How much did we sign today?.. How much was signed by Aramco? 34 billion dollars.”

Absolutely nothing to do with Saudi Aramco’s possible two trillion dollar IPO.

Absolutely nothing.

5 Likes