Moissanite is the gemstone originally from meteorites that outshines diamonds in every way

Originally published at: Moissanite: the gemstone from meteorites that outshines diamonds

5 Likes

Boinged. You and Rob read the same Hacker News threads.

6 Likes

As can gem-quality diamonds.

3 Likes

He did bury a link to the other boing in the last paragraph.

3 Likes

A moissanite is an artificial diamond. It’s Mickey Mouse, mate. Spurious. Not genuine. And it’s worth…

1 Like

@frauenfelder yes, reboing. Shouldn’t all BB contributors double check before posting?

It’s not spurious at all. Moissanite is crystal carborundum, and I have assured that carborundum non illegitimus est…well, actually, people say it the other way around, but I assume the implication should work in both directions.

5 Likes

It’s… it’s a movie quote.

1 Like

I know. I was making a joke too. Illegitimus non carborundum est and its various forms are fake Latin for “don’t let the bastards grind you down”.

4 Likes

“It’s Mickey Mouse, spurious, not genuine…”

3 Likes

Thanks for saving me the trouble of posting it twice.

Is boingboing in the pocket of big Moissanite?

From what I understand, most of them are lab grown, as the natural ones ARE very rare. But you can also get lab grown diamonds as well.

There are a whole host of lab grown gem materials out there. Not going to lie, I want a sample of this Gadolinium Aluminum Gallium Garnet.

4 Likes

Another advantage of moissanite is that when your future spouse loses the engagement ring you gave them, you’re not out “two months’ salary”. It’s probably not their style, anyway.

1 Like

One of the top articles on Hacker News this morning was about DeBeers manipulating the diamond market.

The top comment in that thread was a link to this 8-year-old article.

It’s a testament to how small the Internet has become that I can sometimes recognize the exact comment that led to a Boing Boing editor to write a post.

6 Likes

Available at the BoingBoing store!

4 Likes

You’ve been here for twenty years and this is your question?

1 Like

:saluting_face:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.