Mom feared being beaten by United crew, so she didn't complain when her son's seat was given away

Take Route 66! Even just the part from Chicago to Amarillo is amazing.

1 Like

“United - Bringing families closer together”

1 Like

The darkest part of her statement is the sentence; "I’m Asian."
No explanation given, because no further explanation is needed.

3 Likes

bullying is official commercial competence (place snow balls here) so who’s the new bigger bar-steward

three cheers for capitalism

I am surprised the aircraft launched with an 11 kilo unsecured mass in the cabin. Seat belts are 1% there to help you survive a crash and 99% there to stop your body injuring other people.

That child should have been put in an overhead locker or under the seat in front of their mother.

5 Likes

I don’t think any other passengers expected a beating either, but there you go.

As I understand it, once your kid hits two years, it is illegal for them to travel on your lap. Safety and all that, probably a good idea. The airlines are all happy to take the extra ticket revenue. But when an airline forces a passenger to do something illegal, where is the FAA? Shouldn’t they be pressing United for an explanation?

5 Likes

I would hope at this point everyone with a shred of conscience got rid of their united stock…
It makes me think all current united shareholders are evil villains who are fueled by the non stop horrible actions that united has been taking.

It was ~$1000 for Hawaii to Boston. They bumped the kid during a stop in Houston.

1 Like

OH, that makes more sense.

Hey, now! there had to be at least 50 miles of Tan in that 500 miles.

2 Likes

Nothing a free market can’t fix.

soooper genius

1 Like

I don’t know if the question of compensation was answered here, so…

NPR: United Spokesman Jonathan Guerin told NPR in a statement that the airline is reviewing the details of the incident. “This should not have happened. We sincerely apologize to Ms. Yamauchi and her son and we are refunding their tickets and providing additional compensation,” he said.

But then…

Yamauchi told NBC News she does not agree with the compensation. “It doesn’t seem right or enough for pain and discomfort.”

Definitely there’s potential that the customer is seeking some kind of payout. The anarchist in me would want to see United have to pay for their shitty service, but not thrilled that this might encourage passengers for getting litigious. But with such bad service and treatment while flying i can’t say its indefensible to do so.

If you spend 2 days on the road “doing nothing but being on the road”, you’re doing it wrong (as you seem to realize). Slow down, enjoy the trip. When I travel with the family (I also won’t fly unless it is absolutely necessary as a protest to security theater), I divvy it up into 2-4 hour segments with a point of interest at each break. There are beautiful and interesting sites the world over - stop and see them on the way, and the long trips are suddenly not a burden but something to look forward to. In fact, some of my fondest family vacation memories are not of the final destination, but of the awesome things we saw and did on the way there and back. Leave time in your schedule - the Grand Canyon for us was a planned half day side trip, and we ended up staying 2 days. I can’t imagine what we’d have missed if we flew…

1 Like

In confiding myself, I consider that UNITED started all this.

That’s such a safety hazard though. If they had it turbulence that kid could have been killed. FAA really ought to fine them for this one, not that they care too much about the fines.

1 Like

I haven’t had to do super long drives myself, but the times i have had to drive on vacation i had extremely limited time and the bulk of what i wanted to do was at the destination (aka spending time at my parents). So meandering wasn’t an option.

As a family we did do a lot of long cross country road trips, so i totally get the concept of stopping and enjoying the countryside. But that’s a road trip for the sake of the road trip, and as i’ve mentioned it’s not something i’m opposed to it’s just something i currently have no time for.

Some day though. Again, above i’ve mentioned that i’ve roughly been planning going across the US. Might be a while before i am able to do so as i have other things taking priority.

The last time i flew with my lap-infant daughter, she was in a baby carrier strapped to my chest - one of those bjorn-type things. During pre-flight checks, the flight attendant forced me to take her out of it – for safety.

2 Likes

She was flying from Hawaii, not Houston.