Mom on the drums

[Read the post]

2 Likes

Mom is ripping it apart!

Well, guess thatā€™s an end to the ancient meme ā€œMen canā€™t fold fitted sheets and women canā€™t play the drum part to Wipeoutā€

3 Likes

Sheā€™s good, but sheā€™s also making @anon75430791ā€™s point. So, Iā€™m mixed.

2 Likes

Iā€™m a little disturbed here. What exactly is ā€œmomā€ supposed to imply? (dude, that person drums, and hasā€¦ kids.)

2 Likes

Incredible technique, with 32nd notes and duple-triple patterns. Kick-ass. This is my favorite thing of the week!

Wipe Out was first issued 53 years ago this month. As an old fart I thoroughly enjoyed this rendition of it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wipe_Out_(instrumental).

1 Like

Donna Stearns is a mom and an elementary school teacher who plays drums.

Donna Stearns is a kick ass drummer who teaches at an elementary school. Incidentally she has children too.

8 Likes

My last drummer was a mom, an elementary school teacher, and could wipe the floor with this chick.

She once broke a finger during a particularly intensive djembe break. Did nerve damage. Played for another hour to finish the gig.

3 Likes

Seems Iā€™m not the only one slightly uncomfortable about Donna being defined by her family status. ā€˜Momsā€™ are people too!

Too bad Janis isnā€™t still alive to see her. And all the others.

(Ignoring that she is a mom, causeā€¦ Why?)

Her rhythm consistency is fucking excellent. Her transition to (I forget if its 12/16 or whatnot) from 16/18 is flawless, and her twitch muscles versus slow muscles shows decades of practice.

And you can see every musician around her gets that. Thinking about what it would take to get my boudran skills to that level (and they are good) gives me cold sweats

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.