Mona Haydar’s “Hijabi” is a rap anthem for women who wear headscarves

What? Face masks worn in vast majority of Islamic world. You are highlighting the rare exception.

If you don’t think the inequity of men being able to go shirtless and women being required to cover their milk makers is NOT related to patriarchy and the subjugation and control of women… then what do you think it is?

16 Likes

Such is the thinking of Islamic patriarchy, who covers up women’s faces and skin so they will not tempt men into raping them. Yes - THIS is the reason face masks are worn. Very pro-woman, yeah. And was it you who accused me of not knowing about the topic?

Right. Because a man can not have a valid opinion about the subjugation of women because he is a man? Brilliant.

Butting out because all religious prohibitions must be respected - even if they are cruel to women? Sorry - enlightenment values trumps religious privilege.

1 Like

It’s not for you or I or any other man to tell her what she should wear. If she chooses to wear a hijab of her own free will then it’s nobody else’s business.

A real Feminist doesn’t go around burning other people’s bras.

15 Likes

I’ll say it again - maybe you missed it the first two times. Ask Muslim Iranian women from the 1960’s what they want to wear? They did NOT want to wear face masks. They wore miniskirts. Ask them NOW - they want to wear face masks?!? Yeah, right.

Do YOU want to be forced to hide your face/torso/entire body every second of the day in public? No?!? Have you no modesty to celebrate?

Most likely referring to this:

3 Likes

Why not extend the same courtesy to the women who made this video?

15 Likes

So, when a southern racist proudly displays the Confederate flag on his flagpole, do you think everybody should just butt out and not say anything? After all - he has no slaves. He forced absolutely no one to be his slave.

So, according to your logic, even though millions WERE forced into slavery, we should all support his right to proudly display the symbol of that coercion - because it is his “free choice” to display what he wants, right?

A piece of cloth can be neither pro-woman or anti-woman; it is a piece of cloth.

Telling a woman either that she must wear that piece of cloth, or must not wear that piece of cloth is anti-woman.

Allowing a woman to make her own decision about wearing that piece of cloth is pro-woman.

It is true that, in some countries, women are forced to wear that cloth. However, that is not the fault of the cloth. It is the fault of the people enforcing the rule.

Iran and Saudi Arabia are not “the vast majority of Islamic world.”

Approximately 40% of the world’s Muslims live in the following four countries:

• Indonesia 204,847,000
  • Pakistan 178,097,000
  • India 172,000,000
  • Bangladesh 145,312,000

None of these countries mandate hijab.

Yes, I’ll agree that Iran forcing women to wear hijab is wrong. Saudi Arabia is worse, where the niqab is pretty much mandatory. But you’re tarring a lot of people and countries with the same brush as the ones who deserve tarring.

23 Likes

Because there is nothing pro-woman or pro-feminist about displaying the symbol and object of the subjugation of women. The same way their is nothing patriotic about wearing the Confederate flag, and there is nothing pro-Jew about wearing swastika - even if they were religious symbols to you…

That’s quite a red herring you’ve presented.

15 Likes

“None of these countries mandate hijab.” So what? How many of the women there DO wear it? How many would be free to NOT wear it, and have absolutely zero consequence?

Must I post youtubes of the faces of women who had acid thrown in their faces for NOT wearing it?

Do you get this upset about orthodox Jewish women and their wigs?

21 Likes

I think I get it now - you don’t like hijabs! Why didn’t you say so?

18 Likes

This is where I point out that her husband is white and converted to Islam for her…so…check your preconceptions.

12 Likes

Or Mormon women who wear temple garments?

19 Likes

Pretty darn good analogy IMHO. It’s a cultural norm in which women are expected (if not legally mandated) to cover a part of their body that men are not. In both cases the rationale is that exposing said area in public is immodest and could arouse men. A woman who defies the law could be subject to arrest, and even if she is assaulted some mouth-breathers will inevitably insist that she “had it coming” for going out in public that way.

There are many societies that don’t treat toplessness as a cultural taboo and I applaud them. But if you visit one of those places it would still be pretty freaking rude and condescending to tell any woman who opted against exposing her breasts that she should take her top off.

17 Likes

Yes, too bad you have no interest in listening to women about these issues. Too bad you’re more interested in telling women how you think they should be in this world instead of supporting them.

20 Likes