Mona Haydar’s “Hijabi” is a rap anthem for women who wear headscarves

Yes, I do think you’re pretty ignorant on the issue of Islam, modesty, and patriarchy in Islam.

17 Likes

OH NOES! My Orthodox Jewish yoga instructor is SOOOO oppressed in her awesome snood! Teh HORRORS!

18 Likes

[citation needed].

15 Likes

I think it’s all ridiculous. Is that wrong?

2 Likes

I think that’s your opinion, and as long as your not assuming your opinion should have power over others, I think you’re fine.

I do think it’s helpful to try and understand why people do the things they do, from their own point of view, rather than just assume they are oppressed and in need of outside support in the form of a string bikini.

19 Likes

Bah humbug. The hijab is clearly a descendant of the hood, except now a fashionable scarf that nearly everybiddy in the church I attended as a lad wore. Fashionable wind protection that keeps 'dos in place? Yup. Frigging awesome.

Also, I want a fez. And a beret. And a bowler.

Ain’t me job to tell who to wear what. Ain’t yours either.

15 Likes

Is it possible to be pro-wear-whatever-you-want and also anti-religiously-enforced-oppression?

I’m not seeing a lot of light between these two pillars here.

In some situations, women are oppressed by religion. In some situations, women are forced to wear clothing by religious law which reinforces their deletion from society. In some situations, oppressed people internalise the ideology of their oppressors. In some situations, the internalised ideology of the oppressor can become mixed up with the free expression of one’s own ideology.

Wear whatever the fuck you want. Be aware that you have internalised destructive ideological formulae because you are a living human being on earth.

Astronauts get a pass. Apparently.

17 Likes

And i suspect you are reminded of these things more strongly when you see a hijab then when you see a crucifix or a yarmulke, symbols of two other major religions which also try to exert control over women, and people in general. Also, many of my fellow non-religious people tend to forget one key thing about religion: the religion isn’t what is asserting that control, it’s the people behind the religion.
So let’s let hijab-wearing women decide what the symbol means to them.

13 Likes

Guns don’t kill people, people kill people.

2 Likes

21 Likes

Guns and religion are both tools. Guns are a tool with not many uses and religion is a tool that is difficult to know how to use and liable to blow up in your regions face, but neither would ever go bang if we didn’t pick them up.

5 Likes

I thought we were talking about the assertion of control. Not the multi-faceted jewels of human thought that religions stole and tell everyone are their own.

Sure, but also be aware that other people may make different decisions than you would even when given the same information and choices.

6 Likes

Okay.

2 Likes

I’ve got another one.

Corporations aren’t inherently destructive cancers on the face of humanity. Humanity is an inherently destructive cancer on the face of humanity.

I don’t want to flood with another post but I am real close to ROFL with “Guns don’t kill people, people kill guns.”

As a woman who hangs out in spiritual communities, headcoverings are prevalent all over the world as a form of spiritual protection and respect for God. Men also wear headcoverings.

17 Likes

In other words, you have absolutely no interest in actually asking women, now, today, what they want to wear – you’d rather assume you know.

15 Likes

Please note the dress-code shaming that goes on in any strongly christian community, or the way Amish or more orthodox Jewish women dress. That women bear the brunt is a (near?) universal. And until we’ve dealt with that, all i feel we should do is let these women figure out for themselves how they want to deal with the intersection of their faith and their femininity.

Edited for (font-related) emphasis.

14 Likes

The fact that you think that is even remotely comparable shows me that it’s going to be hard to get through to you on this, but I’ll try. The t-shirt is directly disrespectful of others. Your reaction to the hijab is something being projected upon the wearer by you.

It is visible, overt reminder of patriarchy that only affects women in a visible way.

Talk to some women who wear them. Otherwise, give your overworked concern a rest.

13 Likes

So that’s the metaphor you’re going to go with, huh? OK then.

How about this counterpoint:

• When a straight person at a Westboro Baptist Church rally chooses to wear a “God Hates Fags” T-shirt it’s impossible to interpret as anything but a profane attack and implied threat to someone other than the person wearing the shirt.
  • When a woman chooses to wear a hijab it’s not a statement about anyone else. It’s a statement about how she chooses to present herself and live her own life.
10 Likes