Monkeypox is getting a new name, says WHO

Originally published at: Monkeypox is getting a new name, says WHO | Boing Boing

5 Likes

Donkeypox. Funkypox. Unless you get rid of the pox bit, you’re not gonna make this sound any better.

5 Likes

Poxy McPoxface, clearly and obviously.

18 Likes

MAGApox

7 Likes

Subtext: we’re rebranding so that people take it seriously.

3 Likes

Only because I can’t get it out of my head that someone was saying some of the monkey pox pictures get flagged by social media as nipples.

Instead of Monkey Pox, how about Funky New Nipple Syndrome.

4 Likes

How about “Barrel o’ Pox”?

17 Likes

“We need to rebrand, because the existing name is stigmatizing and has unpleasant associations. We also want to emphasize that it’s more broadly applicable than people are currently thinking.”

Easy peasy scabby squeezy: metapox

(To be fair, I don’t think the rebrand is working for THEM, either)

13 Likes

No, they are rebranding it because, at least in the states, “monkey” has some pretty racist undertones. Also, the two subtypes are named for regions in Africa, and after the experience of covid they would like to not pin this on a specific region.

22 Likes

Fie! A pox on all your houses poxes, I say.

5 Likes

To me, “Monkeypox” is one of those disease names that sounds way more fun and zany than it really is. Maybe not “Boogie-woogie fever” but still up there.

6 Likes

Sez WHO?

5 Likes

Ratpox then.

7 Likes
5 Likes

Yes, okay, you have my vote. :smiley:

2 Likes

Perhaps we should just change the pox bit.
MonkeyBumps?
MonkeyFunSneezes?

Nah, talked myself out of this one.

3 Likes

PunkyMox it is then!

5 Likes

Style, you have!

2 Likes

METAPox sounds like some Cyberpunk malady William Gibson would have created that only infected console cowboys that got lazy with the alcohol swabs on their brain jacks.

5 Likes

Monkeypox 2: Infectious Booger Glue?

4 Likes