World Health Organization renames monkeypox: it's now MPOX

Originally published at: World Health Organization renames monkeypox: it's now MPOX | Boing Boing

4 Likes

I’m underwhelmed by the difference. Does the M stand for MAN?

3 Likes

A pox on both their species.

6 Likes

Chickens, cows, and small people want to complain.

4 Likes

well. that clears that up. :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

:musical_score: MPOX, pox pox, MPOX :musical_note:
giphy (3)

18 Likes

I was reading this as “em pox” but now it’s “mmpox”, so thanks for that I guess.

9 Likes

I was going to go for:

New York, London, Paris, Munich
Everybody talk about Mpox muzik

8 Likes

I understand the necessity, especially after the damage done by the CDC’s messaging, but I still would prefer a world where the reason for the change was to better reflect the origin of the virus, which still seems to be unknown.

Natural host of monkeypox virus

Various animal species have been identified as susceptible to monkeypox virus. This includes rope squirrels, tree squirrels, Gambian pouched rats, dormice, non-human primates and other species. Uncertainty remains on the natural history of monkeypox virus and further studies are needed to identify the exact reservoir(s) and how virus circulation is maintained in nature.

I guess the M is for mammals.

2 Likes

It stands for M&M; and not the sexy kind that Tucker Carlson gets so hot under the collar for.

That’s where my aged brain went, too. I guess I’m Generation M, rather than Generation Hanson.

3 Likes

Tell me no one at WHO reads X-Men without telling me no one at WHO reads X-Men.

3 Likes

I liked the the annual for All-New X-Men vol 2, but I missed most of that period of the X-books. If the name change goes through does that mean there will be a clinic in Otherplace?

Mmmpox, ba duba dop
Ba du pox, ba duba dop
Ba du pox, ba duba dop
Ba puuuu
Ye-eaaaah

I see where they’re coming from, I think it’s a step in the right direction, but I can’t help being reminded of renaming Windscale into Sellafield.

1 Like

Another name that looks nice on a ticker, I see a trend here

Beat me to it.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.