Monospace Comic Sans

I was just going to ask - where is the monospace Papyrus for all my coding needs?

2 Likes

Finally a font appropriate for python programmers.

While taking a scripting class in college (long time ago), we were tasked to write a shell script to solve a problem (sort a list of numbers or something trivial). I had been a unix user for years at this point and had no problem writing a program to do it. I even had the #!/bin/tcsh at the beginning. All the TA had to do to test it was to chmod +x it and run it. I failed the assignment. TA said my code didn’t run. I asked specifically what errors he was seeing and he showed me. The fool had done: “/bin/zsh /path/to/my/script” Well, yeah, I didn’t write it in zsh, now did I? That’s like saying it failed because perl wouldn’t run it. Note, there was nothing specific to zsh in the whole class. So there was no reason for me to expect my code to need to run on it.

I went to the prof and explained the situation. He understood and corrected the grade. It still irks me to this day.

2 Likes

Weird. It really does look more respectable in monospaced.

I’m impressed that this is a series of algorithmic adjustments/hacks of a font rather than hand tweaking. And it works pretty well.

1 Like

… if I’d been a child in 1994 :confused:

2 Likes

Open Dyslexic is not perfect. For me, it’s too heavy but my dyslexia presents more when writing (and editing) than reading.

The value of comic sans is that it is a system font on nearly every devise.

What I don’t understand is Papyrus as a system font on android handsets. Part of my job is tech support for our mobile app. I see lots of screen shots of 60+ investment professionals with high contrast themes and Papyrus as the font.

What the hell is that about.

1 Like

So I know everyone hates Comic Sans, but I know someone who still made word searches with it because nothing else they had looked better for it. And honestly…it isn’t always obvious to me what to replace it with. Like, I wouldn’t send out press releases with it, even if CERN does. But if someone were say making a comic, what should they actually use? I’d love to know.

The Typographical Terror

11 Likes

Papyrus… *lolz

4 Likes

Do you have any insights on Literate Programming?

1 Like

Not really since it’s not a tool I use. As an assembly guy, I deal in ones and zeros. Dive into C when I can. Otherwise it’s just figuring out what the heck the UEFI code is doing. It looks kind of cool though.

3 Likes

Yeah, sometimes the TA is doing as much learning as the proper students. Albeit, usually different things.

BTW, he renamed the file to have a .py extension so both python and I were surprised to find {\rtf1 at the beginning.

2 Likes

A year or so ago I bought, with my own money, a license for Comic Code. I use it in Sublime Text and the Command window on a few computers and absolutely love it!

From the author’s blurb:

a literal manifestation of “code like nobody’s watching“

While it’s not going to replace my coding font of choice (Hack) I actually don’t totally hate it.

I commend it for having a proper slashed 0 that’s easily distinguishable from O (although the distinguishability of I/l/1 looks marginal).

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.