Monospace Comic Sans

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2021/01/19/monospace-comic-sans.html

3 Likes

inigo-montoya-word-gif

21 Likes

Thanks, I hate it.

10 Likes

This rules.

Are there other free dyslexic friendly mono-spaced fonts?

5 Likes

Hey. This doesn’t look nearly as awful as Comic Sans, even I can see that, and I’m not at all that much of a font-nerd. Comparing them side by side there are huge differences. What’s bad about Comic Sans isn’t that it’s “comic lettering”, it’s that it’s “bad comic lettering”.

6 Likes

I don’t use it but I don’t hate that font on a visceral level that some people do. I have a co-worker who modified her e-mail app to send out all messages in that font which is annoying, but meh. A font is a font and it’s probably more attractive than my chicken-scratch handwriting. I still love this passive-aggressive note though:

Edit: Oh, and by the way, if you code in anything other than monospace…that’s just evil and I will not review it.

14 Likes

It’s very close to the default mono font that’s been used in Terminal windows for decades, but a bit more friendly. Much more pleasant than Comic Sans.

6 Likes

What programming language are you using where their font comes through…? I’m imagining you passing code around in word docs.

2 Likes

If I get code in a word doc, I won’t even open it. Give me a text file so I can choose my editor (I’m an emacs guy, using vi when needed). But when someone sends me a formatted e-mail with code in comic sans, I’m tempted to report it to their manager :slight_smile:

5 Likes

If it’s from a known sender, I will…but only in a VM.

(This is not an invitation.)

3 Likes

Virtualbox is what I use. Because it’s free, works on my Mac, and my company owns it :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve told this story before, and I will tell it again: While teaching an intro programming course a few years back, I had a student who kept submitting rtf files of his programs instead of normal ascii/utf plaintext. The code seemed to be by-hand syntax highlighted and with his typos, it had clearly never actually run. Repeated talks with him changed nothing and I had a ‘if it doesn’t at least parse, you get no credit’ policy, so… :man_shrugging:

6 Likes

Heh, I had a prof in college who always said "C"ompile gets you a C.

2 Likes

But that’s not Comic Sans, because it has serifs.

3 Likes

Open Dyslexic has a monospaced variant. Worth checking to see if all your needed characters are supported. (Speaking as a coder and parent of a dyslexic.)

3 Likes

I has me thinking that there’s an opportunity to make (or promote, if it already exists) a more pleasant hand-drawn mono font, similar to this but more balanced and consisten (i.e. lacking the Comic Sans inconsistent angles for strokes and counters, the god-damned serif dot at the top of the C, the weird angular G, etc)

3 Likes

Quod erat demonstrandum.

2 Likes

beloved typeface Comic Sans

we truly are in the worst timeline

3 Likes

Whaaa?!?! I somehow missed that

Open Dyslexic looks a little more chunky to me than Dyslexie, but we have it installed on all our devices. I’ll have to check with the kid if they’ve ever used the monospace version. I know the regular styles get used for papers, converting into Times New Roman at the very end to turn in.

My white-hot hatred for Comic Sans has even diminished after seeing how much an assistive tech like special fonts can help. It’s mis-used, but those of us that remember Early Days with MacPaint can tell you the number of abuses of the system’s Chicago font or the ransom-note unreadability of San Francisco.

Papyrus is still the devil that walks among us, though.