This is the creator of Comic Sans

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/01/19/this-is-the-creator-of-comic-s.html

"

If it is polarizing, the poles are “I hate it” vs "what’s Comic Sans?

“If you didn’t notice (a piece of art), I considered that was bad,” Connare says. “And if you did notice, it was good.”

That doesn’t seem contrite. I want to see contrite.

He looks like the kind of guy who’d create Comic Sans, too.

My handwriting is based on Comic Sans.

“If you didn’t notice (a piece of art), I considered that was bad,” Connare says. “And if you did notice, it was good.”

By this standard, standing on a rusty nail is excellent art.

From a 2014 article in the Independent:
Connare himself has a more balanced attitude, saying in 2009: “If you love it, you don’t know much about typography [but] if you hate it, you really don’t know much about typography, either, and you should get another hobby.”

As the creator of Comic Sans you’d think he’d be videoed in complete silhouette with his voice electronically disguised, like a mob informant. If I’d created Comic Sans there’s no way I’d want anyone to identify me in public :open_mouth:

Kudos to this guy for creating something so many froth at the mouth about- if he was a modern artist, Comic Sans would be his “Piss Christ”.

There’s nothing wrong with the typeface Comic Sans, there is only bad usage.

Now take Ariel. That needs to be killed with fire! :fire:

Comic Sans, like all fonts, has a valid use…

Sarcasm.

I think we could probably do without Papyrus and Algerian as well, but that might just be me.

Woah, what do you have against Ariel?

The only valid Sarcasm font is Sarcastica Oblique. (Well, maybe Sarcastica Extra Heavy, too.)

There is nothing wrong with Comic Sans. There is something wrong with the way a lot of people use it.

Yes, and that wrong thing is using it as a typeface.

:smiley:

Yeah. Never used those. They were perhaps over-used in the 80s. But I suppose they serve a purpose.

##FTFY