Montana judge unrepentant after sentencing man to 60 days for repeatedly raping his own 12 year old daughter

I begin to think this election can’t get more insane, then I read shit like this.

8 Likes

Well yeah, he’s going to put dozens of them in, apparently.

1 Like

It would be helpful if our system of justice was set up for reform and rehabilitation, as it’s been show to lower recidivism rates. It’s what I’d prefer.

60 days for raping a child is an insult and shows where our priorities lie. It’s not in protecting the public from harm. It’s in shoring up the power system we live under.

17 Likes

“The man has not been named in order to protect the identity of his daughter.”

This was CNN’s decision but it looks like whoever made the change.org petition didn’t get the memo.

3 Likes

If Pakistan can figure out it shouldn’t allow family members’ forgiveness to override murder charges in “honor” killings, why can’t we figure out that silent witnesses/accomplices shouldn’t have a say in incest cases?

7 Likes

I don’t understand the system well enough, but can CPS remove the daughter (and sons, hopefully) from this horrible nightmare, without having to go through this judge?

Edit: And holy fuck, the prosecution had already made a deal with the rapist for 25 years. Signing that petition now.

4 Likes

I’m thinking CPS and the local district attorney’s office should take a good long look into the judge’s family situation. Just a hunch.

9 Likes

Maybe this isn’t the place for it,

but I’ve noticed an uptick in outrage for light sentencing by judges - and it always seems to be sex related. I have not noticed any similar outrage for judges that ‘throw the book’ and imprison or fine a citizen excessively, sans some drug crimes.

I’m speaking of convicted criminals, so no Steve Avery false evidence.

Any judges removed for excessive sentencing?

Edit: sorry kids, just not that invested in nitpicks.

2 Likes

Well, there was that judge in Pennsylvania who was railroading kids into juvi for kickbacks. Does that count in your book?

20 Likes

No. Rape is not sex. It’s rape. That’s the problem. Rape convictions (generally by white men) get laughable light sentences and a fair amount of hand wringing about the life of the rapist as opposed to the victim. This is just one case of that being true.

I think, if you ask most of us, we’re against heavy sentences for non-violent drug offenders. I’d guess most of us would prefer that the convicted rapist get the heavy sentence and the drug “offender” get no time at all.

30 Likes

That’s what I meant. Sex crimes.

So rape.

23 Likes

Defendant: Your honor, when I robbed that bank and killed the teller, I got away with sixteen million dollars. That is more than enough to live well on for the rest of my life. There is no possible reason I would ever reoffend.

Judge: Agreed. You are free to go as long as you never rob a bank or murder anyone again.

9 Likes

Uh, isn’t letting dad go free more likely to negatively affect his sons?

I lived with a rapist for eight years, from the age of four to the age of twelve. His presence had a much more negative impact on me than his absence.

Does he go back to the same house as his daughter (seeing how mum even defended the guy).

The impact on me was nothing compared to the impact on my sister. And the mother and grandmother are fucking nuts. (I know I’m not supposed to say that. I’m sure there’s a more appropriate term, but nothing comes to mind.)

18 Likes

Yep, you’re right, it isn’t.

8 Likes

How about something in between? Whatever it is, our system of justice should be consistent regardless of the perpetrator’s race/color/religion/economic background/whatever, which it clearly isn’t.

16 Likes

11 Likes

Maybe this is a thing to read:

http://www.lawcomic.net/guide/?p=1228

Not this only page, follow trough.

5 Likes

Are you suggesting that only one can matter at a time?

7 Likes

23 Likes