No prison time for teen who raped baby

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2016/09/15/no-prison-time-for-teen-who-ra.html

3 Likes

I am confused. Then what is right for a crime such as this?

Odds are this kid was abused in the past and is “broken”. Can he be fixed? I dunno. Some dogs can’t help killing chickens, but you don’t just let them do it because it isn’t their fault.

10 Likes

Twist ending: the point is that whatever we decide is best, its application shouldn’t depend on RGB values.

It’s hard to express anger at the sentence’s unequal treatment without it reading as anger at its absolute duration. The ideal outcome is not more pointless, brutal punishment for the offenders being treated leniently, but less of it for everyone (and in its place, more effective rehabilitation or at least a more civilized loss of freedom.)

Whites getting off easy illustrates insitutional racism, not a need to send whites to Federal pound-me-in-the-ass prison.

36 Likes

Considering what prison so often entails in this country, I’m not sure who it is right for.

12 Likes

So CMYK? Or do we use something proprietary like the PANTONE™ system?

14 Likes

Me too.

5 Likes

Committing a sexual act on a baby is beyond wrong, i don’t see how a judge could be lenient on this person. It’s hard to stay impartial on a case like this but honestly this guy could be thrown in a hole for life and i would not feel sorry for him.

19 Likes

“No prison time for teen who raped baby AND LIVESTREAMED IT.”

31 Likes

WTFF? I have no words to express how wrong this is at all levels of what happened.
And I need this now and I am sure the rest of you do too.

43 Likes

Just like the clergy, there’s a lot of old guys in black robes sitting behind lecterns who, er, see themselves in these young men. So to speak.

24 Likes

I’d agree that odds are this kid was abused in the past with that punchable face.

1 Like

CMYK? RGB? PANTONE?

No, I think Von Luschan’s chromatic scale will be more useful in judicial sentencing.

2 Likes

If there’s any crime I’d support capital punishment for, this is it. And I’m not just saying that. What this piece of human garbage did is worse than cold-blooded murder. At the absolute least he deserves to be locked in an asylum for the criminally insane and left to rot.

6 Likes

A friend of mine says, “Fifteen minutes can ruin a child’s entire life.”

I think that’s what makes the reaction to this sort of crime so intense for many of us. Trauma can affect anyone at any age but a child especially is being given the impression that this is what they can expect from life.

I don’t know what would be right for the teen but right now I’m thinking more of what the victim’s needs are.

23 Likes

Some humans are beyond redemption. And some people are so evil that they do not deserve to be rehabilitated even if they can.

ETA: I’ll tell you who really belongs in prison though, old white racist judges.

7 Likes

So this guy who people seem to think was a prince of peace and a turn the other cheek sort of fellow once said
“And everyone who commits an offense against one of these little ones who believe in me, it were profitable for him that a donkey’s millstone would be hung around his neck and he be sunk in the depths of the sea.”
So there is some precedent for kind forgiving people to wish death upon people like this rapist.

6 Likes

What about the toddlers who think that religion is a load of crap? No millstone vengeance for them?

7 Likes

Yes, sentencing has some big racism problems. Nothing in that takes away from the fact that this monster should be put in the general population with a tattoo on his back explaining his crime.

2 Likes

If there were ever a reason to kill a man it would be for raping a baby.

2 Likes

Does this count as a chaser? Too on the nose?

4 Likes