Moog introduces a $349 build-it-yourself analog synthesizer called Mavis

Originally published at: Moog introduces a $349 build-it-yourself analog synthesizer called Mavis | Boing Boing

9 Likes

Oh! That looks cool!

10 Likes

I don’t want one but I know somebody who would absolutely LOVE this!

7 Likes

Pet peeve… in that second video it’s impossible to “meet Mavis” when it’s in a crowded room of synths, how do we know when we’re hearing Mavis?

1 Like

It would appear to be a bigger (but younger) brother to the Werkstatt-01, which I own and love. I sense a forthcoming $350 hole in my pocket and a sibling for my Werkstatt sometime soon.

3 Likes

Agree! It looks quite nice! Funny to see a wavefolder on a Moog…

For deep details, here’s loopop:

7 Likes

Distinctive ladder filter has a very Moogey sound. Sounds like infinite neckbeard but its true!!

3 Likes

This reminded me of the PAiA Proteus 1 that my brother built in the early 80s. But that one required soldering all of the components on to the PCB and hand wiring everything. I personally coveted, but never acquired, their modular synths at the time.

1 Like

I feel like the “DIY kit” aspect of these is over-emphasized. I don’t say I built my own furniture when I assembled a few Ikea shelves.

I do think this is a pretty good addition to Moog’s lineup, sitting between the Werkstatt at $199 and the Mother-32 at $699. I probably would have bought this over the Werkstatt if it had been available then.

4 Likes

Agreed. When I first saw it (but before I watched a demo) I was worried this might be some sort of “West Coast” synth. I want to like West Coast synthesis, but my only hands on experience with it (Volca Modular) has been “meh” at best.

You’re right on both counts. The filter my absolute favorite part of the Werkstatt; just sweeping the cutoff makes me smirk sometimes.

Signed,
A Fellow Neckbeard

2 Likes

You and me both. I was (and am) just too darn lazy.

2 Likes

Oh I wouldn’t blame west coast on that. Korgs are great but have a bit of a plastic sound. You might try the MakeNoise O-Coast or their Strega.

You can also play with the Easel software from Arturia. Demo it for free. I think the demo last forever, just shuts off every thirty minutes needing to repatch whatever you had going. But it’s a pretty damn fun brochure for the $5000 real thing.

3 Likes

Wow! Thanks for the hot tip, I had no idea this was a thing.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.