More harrowing tales from Oceangate's rinky dink Titanic tourist sub

I just noticed this earlier (there are 2-3 more articles above this). They’re absolutely shameless.

Hmm. I’ve been pretty adamantly of the opinion that Everest should be permanently closed, but you may be changing my mind on the subject.

Edited because of weird brain fart.

7 Likes

Analysis: Have news outlets gone overboard in coverage of missing sub?

Analysis: Are news outlets capable of self-awareness?

Analysis: Are nautical puns appropriate for coverage of maritime disasters?

10 Likes

Ha! I didn’t even catch that! :rofl:

4 Likes

Oh, it’s on

(image of doctored vhs jacket)

9 Likes

Wasn’t there also some wacky movie or show about an airplane crashing in the ocean and it somehow stayed pressurized and the air breathable at the bottom of the sea?

1 Like

Yeah, I think it was part of the Airport series. Maybe Airport '77?

2 Likes

I know that happened in the silly TV show Airwolf. Even as a kid I couldn’t get over how ridiculous that was.

3 Likes

Thank you @Bunbain !

2 Likes
2 Likes

It doesn’t take a media expert to realize news coverage is largely based around novelty.

Some guy just became the 285th rich person to die on Everest? Yawn. Hundreds of poor migrants just drowned when their ship capsized? Happens all the time. A handful of billionaires believed to have died on a poorly designed submarine while visiting the Titanic? Hot damn, we haven’t had one of those before!

12 Likes

Captain Obvious has weighed in.

5 Likes

Captain Obvious, USN (Ret’d).

7 Likes

I’m never setting foot on any boat that with a name that starts with ‘Tit’ either… except maybe if were the Titanium Titillating Titmouse

4 Likes

clapping-saved-by-the-bell

1 Like

You are correct.

4 Likes

That was actually an incredibly ignorant take on the situation. He actually thought they had a ‘phone’ (his word) to communicate with the surface. And that all that had happened was a loss of electricity so they didn’t have lights.

6 Likes

There is an old saying among British merchant seafarers.

If you can’t take a joke, don’t sign on.

1 Like

I remember it mainly because of the Universal studio tour having it as an attraction, tour members would be selected for scenes and filmed, and the bits interjected and shown at the end of the tour. It was typical late Seventies fare, really.

Interesting how schlock like this lives on.

2 Likes

And there are stories about that contrast.

3 Likes

Did you ask for Babs?

1 Like