More harrowing tales from Oceangate's rinky dink Titanic tourist sub

Originally published at: More harrowing tales from Oceangate's rinky dink Titanic tourist sub | Boing Boing

7 Likes

Mike Reiss, The Simpsons ’ showrunner, has taken four trips down and he says comms failed every time.

“I’m going to take this 4th trip just to see if they’ve fixed those communication issues yet.”

51 Likes

So that guy has spent a million dollars on this?! Christ, tax the fucking rich.

45 Likes

Oh yay, yet another post about five people dying at sea.

Meanwhile, in a contrast that shows how sick we are:

28 Likes

Loss of communications on one trip wasn’t enough to convince him never to go ever again?

17 Likes

There’s also a quarter million medical “GoFundMe” campaigns, 88% that never reach their goal. But probably a waiting list for people wanting to go to the real ocean bottom in the toy sub. Societal priorities are whack.

17 Likes

It’s like some kind of Russian roulette-suicide cult hybrid.

9 Likes

With deepest apologies to Gordon Lightfoot:

The legend lives on from Fast Company on down
Of the OceanGate CEO named Rush.
His sub, it is said, never gives up the dead
When the Logitech sticks get all droopy.
With a load of millionaires who liked putting on airs
The discount sub Titan was ready
To slip undersea so that they could all see
The Titanic there resting so pretty.

8 Likes

Ugh, I love how the opening paragraph of a story about the deaths of 300 desperate and exploited people frames it as mainly a problem for the long-suffering European Union.

the latest tragedy to expose the refugee crisis confronting the European Union

11 Likes

Yeah, like WTF? Like if you went skydiving three times, and every time you had to pull the reserve chute, would you go again - to the same place packing chutes??

12 Likes

The communication system has only been described briefly in the many news articles. It’s a sonar system. I wonder what the link budget looks like for that - my guess is they gave it a1 dB margin.

5 Likes

Give it time, and it will become “just another one of those things”. :man_shrugging:

7 Likes

Titan’s an AMATEUR. Just this year, so far, Everest has claimed the lives of SEVENTEEN “adventure tourist millionaires”.

10 Likes

Knowing there’s a couple billionaires on board I keep thinking they’re realizing untold wealth can’t get you everything, in this kind of circumstance all that money is worthless.

2 Likes

Not completely worthless, scores of people are searching for them, and (sigh) the entire world is getting quarter-hour updates on their situation.

And as already commented… four times?!

4 Likes

I assume that someone, somewhere is already printing T-shirts that read “If we can send three billionaires to the bottom of the ocean, why can’t we send them all?”

10 Likes

I’ve been telling people today of my reality TV show idea 20,000 Billionaires Under the Sea.

I’m not sure I’d actually watch it but I would subscribe to that service, just to make sure it happened.

7 Likes

Let me know when the Kickstarter launches.

2 Likes

He probably gets a free voucher for another trip when that happens.

3 Likes

Oceangate is an unfortunate choice for a name. Too soon, I know, but it sounds like a conspiracy theory.

3 Likes