More parents deem vaccines "unnecessary"

18 Likes

Nobody encouraged us to get them until our first kid, IIRC.

3 Likes

Just to be clear, I was joking. I’m a big fan of bleach. If I could get my wife to agree, I’d live in a white house with white tile floors, white solid-surface walls, white towels, all white-clothing, and clean by flooding the house with chlorine bleach.

Just Larkin about? How about:

Or, after dark, will dubious women come
To make their children touch a particular stone;
Pick simples for a cancer; or on some
Advised night see walking a dead one?
Power of some sort will go on
In games, in riddles, seemingly at random;
But superstition, like belief, must die,
And what remains when disbelief has gone?
Grass, weedy pavement, brambles, buttress, sky

5 Likes

I learned that there’s a saturation limit to it’s efficacy, which is why you don’t have to waste pints of bleach in water.
I’m sure a strong hosing or a water sprinkler would do.

5 Likes

Yeah, whenever those articles pop up here (“I don’t use soap anymore!”; “I swig oil instead of brushing my teeth!”; “I emulate homelessness by never changing my underwear!”)…

…I get very glad that I’m hearing these stories over the internet, rather than face to face.

10 Likes

I could just run a mister 24/7.

3 Likes
4 Likes

We, on the other hand, have had a generation go by without many deadly infections running rampant. My dad said that when he was growing up somebody in his town caught tetanus. It was a long, painful death.

5 Likes

At first I was trying to figure out what a Lewis gun had to do with this conversation, until I realized that the goggle-y bit at the end was a gas mask.

2 Likes

And that sphincter-puckering green-yellow cloud.

1 Like

Harry Lime approves this message.

4 Likes

Although technically chlorine was delivered by the simple expedient of opening the valves of compressed tanks of the stuff when the wind was right rather than explosive shells. And when it was in use in earlier parts of the war, British gas protection consisted of flannel hoods (P, PH, or PHG gas helmets) rather than what appears to be a small box respirator in the clip.

3 Likes

APPLE-CIDER VINEGAR

4 Likes

I actually had to argue for an vaccination for my kiddo. The nurse didn’t know (despite the sign on the fridge) that prem babies born weighing less than 2000grams get an extra hep b vaccination at 12 months because they’re not go great on building the antibodies while they’re little.

17 Likes

Food is just a money-making scheme from big agriculture.

10 Likes

This is one of those confusing charts that I hate. So are we comparing deaths-per-year average over the 20th century (so, deaths to polio in 1999 + 1901 + …) versus potentially non-fatal cases reported in one year in the 21st century…in the US I guess? In which case 200,000 people a year on average (that is, counting all the years in the 20th with vaccination) died of pertussis in the US?

3 Likes

prevent this from getting larger

Do they have a shot for aggressive anti-intellectualism?

3 Likes

I’m holding out for something that’s also a floor wax and dessert topping.

17 Likes

Depending on where you are, you may be able to do exactly that. In much of the US, pharmacies administer most of the standard vaccines, either right in a room off the main floor or in mini-clinics. For example, here’s what you can get at CVS, which includes Tdap, which is what you want. I often get my flu vaccine this way–my primary care doctor got me caught up on the tetanus/pertussis booster the first time I saw him. I gave him a fair bit of credit for that. My brother, who’s in Seattle, made the mistake of planning to wait for a pertussis booster until he was due for his next tetanus shot. As people have mentioned, adult pertussis is unpleasant. His was diagnosed when he kept coughing to the point of vomiting.

11 Likes

http://imgur.com/4dI0uAX

5 Likes