More puppets revealed from the new Spitting Image

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/08/05/more-puppets-revealed-from-the.html

1 Like
9 Likes

I really appreciate you pointing out that the show portrayed minorities using stereotypes. That Zuckerberg puppet is very disturbing considering recent anti-Semitic imagery being tossed around by the right.

4 Likes

I give it about a 30% chance of completely biffing it with an outright gollywog or shylock puppet followed by a right-wing lovebombing and a round of articles about Cancel Culture coming for Spitting Image.

HOWEVER, the creator has spoken openly about how racist some of their old work was, using that word without defensiveness, so hmm let’s see!

9 Likes

Contemporary politics are beyond satire. I’m hoping for a return of “Interesting” Steve Davis.

1 Like

The Ringo Starr puppet always blew my mind. It’s great, but magnificently cruel, just two steps further than you think it is possible to go. Can’t quite tell if it suggests they could easily err without realizing it (Zuck’s nose, for example) or if the only mistake is decontextualizing individual puppets in publicity shots, which they might not really want to do anyway.

ringo

4 Likes

Wow, I had no idea people thought Ringo was Jewish. Turns out it’s still a pretty persistent rumor and even once the source of death threats against him.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.