More than $250k in counterfeit US bills seized in Cincinnati

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/05/26/more-than-250k-in-counterfeit.html

3 Likes

$250k? Meh. Chump change compared to the international shenanigans most companies use to avoid US taxes. I’m lookin’ at you, cruise industry. No bail outs for you!

4 Likes

Didn’t this happen before, and the bills were clearly marked that they were fake, and the intended purpose was to teach money counting?

8 Likes

So Wish sells more than just cock cages and cute crack pipes?

yeah, but they also had clearer markings on them… these just look off from the colors alone. Even if they have a legit purpose in China, i can see some methed up Okies thinking they can pull a fast one wit these. Be super popular at the strip clubs until someone notices the security strips don’t glow under black light…

5 Likes

This is joss money, or spirit money, and the funny thing is while they may have seized this shipment my local asian grocery store has boxes and boxes of this stuff. I buy it and let my kid play with it.

18 Likes

Officers say the currency number was the same for every bill

You mean the serial number? I’d assume the “currency number” was the bill’s stated value.

2 Likes

Yeah, I would think they mean serial number? I’m not finding any references to “currency number” in a quick google search.

There is something called the

FACE & BACK PLATE NUMBER
The face plate and back plate numbers identify the printing plates used to print each side of the note. The face plate number is found on the face of the note and the back plate number is found on the back.

And a

NOTE POSITION LETTER & NUMBER
The note position letter and number indicates in which position on a plate a note was printed. It is a combination of one letter and one number.

But I kind of doubt they mean either of those…

Interesting and pretty-to-look-at pdf here:

2 Likes

How do you know this?

4 Likes

Wish runs ads on Facebook. Someone is very confused as to my interests…

6 Likes

You know that shit’s based on your search history right?

:slight_smile:

8 Likes

And on keywords in posts in Facebook comment threads. I’ve gotten some very odd industrial ads based on conversations I’ve had with people in Facebook threads.

3 Likes

Aw hell I’m going for it…

#55GallonDrumOfLube

You’re welcome, everyone

4 Likes

You’re going to need three 55-gallon drums of alcohol to turn that into sanitizer… Very slippery sanitizer… :thinking:

3 Likes

We had some of the money counting counterfeits in Boston MA. I don’t think anyone tried to pass any but I found one myself in the street. It felt real though.

2 Likes

If they are producing these on a computer printer they really need to hire someone to write a script to increment the serial numbers

1 Like

Yes I do. No quarantine would be complete without them.

Oh.

6 Likes

So I take it these bills aren’t as obviously fake as the ones I have.

2 Likes

Well, maybe the lube is food safe? Drinkable lube?

3 Likes

To go with the edible underwear.

Once again, you’re welcome everyone.

5 Likes

Yeah - but I swear I have done thing that is even adjacent…