More than 300 confirmed dead at Kenyan evangelical cult

Originally published at: More than 300 confirmed dead at Kenyan evangelical cult | Boing Boing

4 Likes

28 Likes

I’m often amazed at the sort of nonsense people profess to believe.

7 Likes

Can’t help wondering whether yootooB has finally taken down their vids. Why they were allowed in the 1st place is beyond understanding.

10 Likes

If I was an executive at YouTube and learned that my company’s lack of content moderation had helped facilitate something this horrible I don’t think I’d be able to continue.

21 Likes

ahem

Amen.

All needed healing to everyone involved, except the fucking “pastor” and its minions. I’d be willing to suspend my opposition to the death penalty for this evil, mass-murdering, lying, thieving creature and those who carried out its orders.

6 Likes

Don’t give them any chance to claim they are dying for their faith. Genuinely good people have suffered and died for the right to believe (or not to believe); these people are criminals, nothing more.

Lock them away for all time, bankrupt them, seize everything they ever owned and tell the world about their evil.

5 Likes

The trump cultists are at a point where they would do things like this - or worse - if told to.

4 Likes

If there is a Heaven, then I am sure murdering children does not grant you access.

12 Likes

And if it did then it wouldn’t be worth it. Better to suffer in hell than bow to that kind of god.

7 Likes

I’m reasonably sure that the entire religion was founded by a guy whose claim to fame was being willing to kill his own child as a loyalty test.

5 Likes

Going by the BBC’s description of his videos it certainly sounds like nobody was in any real hurry (since they found at least some of the channels still live after the bodies had started to be found and reported and the local authorities were cracking down); but it like the published sermons elided any particularly damning direct orders in favor of more generically sacrificial and apocalyptic stuff that just isn’t terribly out of the ordinary for the creepier veins of protestantism.

I suspect that, between all ‘engagement’ being profitable engagement and a disinterest in catching flak from christian pressure groups over ‘censorship’, the moderators were looking even less hard than they might have been; but there isn’t necessarily much rhetorical difference between someone who thinks that “For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: and whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it.” is a nice turn of phrase but is basically LARPing at piety and someone running a proper death cult; nor is child sacrifice some sort of completely alien influence on Abrahamic monotheism.

1 Like

I think that might be your problem 'spore. You’ve got a soul. Not executive material.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.