More than a flashlight, this gadget packs a fully-loaded tool box

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/06/11/more-than-a-flashlight-this-g.html

Oh thank god…

I first misread this as “More than a fleshlight…” and had decided that the BB store had finally truly jumped the shark.

4 Likes

I misread it too but had the opposite response. Finally something in the BB shop that is useful. :wink:

1 Like

Dunno, they might sell a lot of Experts 25-Piece Fleshlight Toolbox Sets:

Compacted into their smallest forms, they often look very simple and unassuming. Yet often once they’re unfurled and seen in their full quasi-Transformers glory, you can’t help but be amazed…

Fortunately for many:

this item fantastic for small jobs

:thinking:
But somehow the 72% off seems a bit threatening…not sure why…

2 Likes

$17.99

3 Likes

What?? Boing Boing Shop lied again about the “regular price” discount again??? Doh! The Boing Boing Shop cliches drinking game is getting to be really bad for my health… :thinking:

3 Likes

$89.99 at the manufacturers site, but less elsewhere according to teh googles. :wink:

1 Like

Wouldn’t a fleshlight that comes (tee-hee) with an already fully loaded tool be rather pointless?

And just going to take another opportunity to berate the semi-illiterate fuckwits that write this crap.

The term “fully loaded” does not take a hyphen. (Scroll down, if you click the link.)

We hyphenate modifiers for clarity: a “large-animal veterinarian” might be different from a “large animal veterinarian.” The simple rule for hyphenation with an adverb ending in -ly , as stated in The Chicago Manual of Style , is as follows:

Compounds formed by an adverb ending in ly plus an adjective or participle (such as largely irrelevant or smartly dressed ) are not hyphenated either before or after a noun, since ambiguity is virtually impossible. (The ly ending with adverbs signals to the reader that the next word will be another modifier, not a noun.)

As with so many hypercorrections, the hyphen following an -ly adverb is essentially redundant, since the word’s spelling signals that it is modifying another. Nevertheless, we do see such errors:

And second, these same members are now openly threatening a revolt against Boehner through a rarely-used procedural maneuver that could—conceivably—oust him from power.
The Atlantic , 2 September 2015

“They feel bad that people are never told the truth,” said Bocaranda, wearing a newly-made T-shirt proclaiming “I don’t know” to satirize the furor over his reports on Chavez’s health.
—Reuters, 8 March 2012

A widening investigation into South Korea’s Lotte Group has plunged the country’s fifth-largest conglomerate deeper into crisis, derailing a blockbuster initial public offering at the heart of a closely-watched corporate restructuring.
Wall Street Journal , “Deals of the Day,” 13 June, 2016

The -ly ending for a modifier is elegant and sufficient. No hyphens need apply.

1 Like

Meh.

1 Like

“Meh” all the things!!

2 Likes

The flashlight was meh, but the screwdriver has remained my go to for the past 20 years.

1 Like

I’m imagining an As Seen on TV style fleshlight multi tool advertisement.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.