Mosquito bite relief on your keychain

Apparently the hair dryer treatment works for various types of insect stings as well.

I have had good success with hot showers, as hot as I can stand. But I have heard warnings that while providing relief for an hour or two it extends the time before the itch subsides just like itching. I wonder if shocking does the same.

1 Like

Slather and wait 20 minutes, for $16? Might as well just use toothpaste; I use the small freebie tubes the dentist hands out. Takes 10-15 min to kick in, works all day. Seems effective on spider bites, too (I’m very sensitive to spider bites, not sure how arachni-normals fare with toothpaste).

Sorry I wasn’t clear enough: the bite will go away permanently. Again, no idea how it works, it just does, for me. Your mileage may vary. Also, one container lasts me a long time (and I use it on sunburn as well). Lastly, I didn’t spend $16, so not sure what’s up w/ that. I probably spent 1/2 that, and at a local natural grocery place, not Amazon.

Side note: I try to apply the stuff as soon as I notice the bite, or as soon as I’m back in the house after being out, anyway.

I would try that, but your house is too far a drive.

6 Likes

Isn’t it funny how bb regularly disparages placebo-type “cures” while at the same time advertises them for a profit? ducks

3 Likes

So if I can’t kill the mosquitoes with this…

… I can short it across the sting for relief.

Thanks Harbor Freight!

2 Likes

Similar devices have undergone clinical trial testing, but I can’t find any conclusions online. I have one like this:

and use it and it seems to work…or more likely I just get distracted by the slight piezoelectric shocks. I don’t regret the $2 it set me back, but I would never generalize from my perception to an actual assertion of effectiveness, that would be silly. Maybe if I diluted it 1000 times and thumbtacked it to my ear…

1 Like

Can you use it to build up an immunity to tasers?

5 Likes

The secret I discovered is that if the bite isn’t scratched, the inflammation will clear up very quickly.

1 Like

I don’t know the exact mechanism by which this is supposed to work, but the itching from mosquito bites is caused by proteins they inject, and those proteins are broken down by heat.

I always just run hot water straight from the tap over mosquito bites, they stop itching and don’t bother me.

2 Likes

I wonder if those little zaps would help with arthritis pain, the way Icy Hot and Tiger Balm does - by acting as a distractor or a block for pain signals. I don’t mind the smell of the ointments but my family seems to.

So, is this a key-chain on a flamethrower or a flamethrower on a key-chain?

2 Likes

That’s why I asked it works on other types of itches.

I would be a whole lot less itchy if I could just stop scratching and let the itches just go away, as opposed to aggravating them further.

Time to try this.
I have had pretty good results with a Therapik that use’s infrared heat.
Kinda like when having poison oak, and you take a hot shower, or as I call it: “Oakgasm”

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.