Most Facebook users don't know their interests are tracked for ad targeting, Pew study finds

I thought I know how Facebook was using me for ad targeting (and how to lock things down), but somehow a company managed to sneak past and message me directly when I was looking at their website. Creeepy…

Reddit: Company sent me a message via FB while I was on their website - How can I turn this off?

This is going to be used mostly to tune-up facial recognition software to recognize age progression.

1 Like

Aren’t containers now built in to firefox though? I don’t use them myself but i see the feature there.

Not that I know of. But if you have them, then probably yes! :slight_smile:
I think what the FB Container addon does set up the FB “quarantine” for you, so you don’t have to. I would research more but I’m currently down with a flu.

I really should link to stuff. That’s what i was referring to; for a while now firefox has given you the option to reopen tabs in containers and at first glance it looks to offer the same as that extension but i see the developer has addressed the differences further down in the link you provided.

I expected that criticism. It just so happens that one of my neighbors had very little education, leaving school at 11. But she knows that Facebook spies on her and lives on advertising.

She is not educated, but she is not an idiot. I stand by what I wrote earlier about the others.

So, ignorance always means someone is an idiot? Many kinds of ignorance can be fixed. Not understanding this stuff most likely isn’t because people are idiots, but because they are not informed. And it’s true that some people can just be putting their heads in the sand. But we’re in a place here where most of us (even if we’re not technically inclined) have some knowledge about this stuff, because we spend time here. Lots of people don’t read boing boing or hang out on slash/dot where they’ve been talking about this stuff from very early on.

3 Likes

Please read the linked article:

Please don’t be condescending.

5 Likes

I did not intend to be condescending, sorry. I only intended to point out that you put words in my mouth that I did not write.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.