Mother fined $10 for not including Ritz crackers in kids' school lunch

Sorry, I just meant that it was somehow related to the government (their rules or whatever … I did not look too closely) and not the association that you had mentioned. I still don’t think that people are using the word “fine” to mean something similar to “traffic fine” or “littering fine”. The parent broke the “rules” of the daycare so she had to pay money and thus was “fined”. I doubt anyone is trying to say that the parent broke the city/state/national law and had to pay money to a government entity.

Oh, and the partially hydrogenated soybean oil = transfat (so healthy).

Under the guidelines corn would do, wouldn’t it? Or would it have to be playing the part of grain (tortillas or some other manner) instead of vegetable.

1 Like

“Fine” is only mentioned in the article about the events in question, the note from the daycare clearly lists it as a charge

To quote myself in my 2nd post

“I stand corrected. The article says “fined” but the note itself says “charged”.”

Blame the bbs for messing up scrolling and making your first post the last one I could see in the thread.

1 Like

Strongly agreed. Not recognizing the nutritional equivalence between potatoes and grains is nitpicking. I have to wonder whether they’d likewise argue that buckwheat, quinoa, amaranth, and chia aren’t grains based on similar botanical (vs. nutritional) arguments. Given the presence of carrots and an orange, the fruit/vegetable slots are clearly filled, and the parent is obviously intending to treat potatoes as grain equivalents, which is eminently reasonable.

The most complicated question regarding nutritional prescriptions based on artificially distinct categories (Meat! Vegetables! Never the twain shall meet!) is how to describe legumes. Botanically, they’re vegetables (except for snap peas and the like, which are technically fruit). Nutritionally, they provide quite a bit of complex carbohydrates (similar to grains), but they also provide far more protein than most fruits or vegetables (similar to meat). There are contexts in which legumes are recognized as nutritionally analogous to meats while it’s also argued that meat should be consumed in strict moderation, which seems a bit silly; in practice, I think it’s reasonable to treat legumes as nutritional wild cards. Assuming your gut can handle the fiber and the oligosaccharides, the biggest problem with eating too much legumes is the starch, which isn’t a major nutritional component of meat.

“This is not your child.”

4 Likes

Or those with lactose intolerance, or even just find milk to be revolting like I do.

3 Likes

Most things bearing the Ritz name are seriously overpriced. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes!! I still the memory of being forced to sit at the table until I finished drinking a glass of milk.

When life gives you Ritz Crackers, make Mock Apple Pie.

2 Likes

Maybe it’s a lobbyist thing, as Canada is a massive grain producer. Like the Buried in Wool thing was in the UK.

I’ll have a Cheese, Ham and Tomato Butty, with a Banana for pudding please :slight_smile:

The parents should get a note from this doctor.

1 Like

It’d be really nice if the article was corrected, because it’s factually inaccurate. It says, “Manitoba Government’s Early Learning and Child Care…” which gives one the impression that Red Canuckistan is forcing its poor citizens to eat according to their plan or pay hefty fines to the commissars.

In fact, a single daycare interpreted the rules of an association that receives some gov’t funding in an asinine way. This is a non-story.

2 Likes

Well, it is a story about a single daycare. Just like the single school in Toronto that temporarily banned balls because someone got hit in the head with a ball. It is a story about a single incident that people think is emblematic of a society overrun with foolish rules, especially foolish rules for children.

2 Likes

Following the letter of the law while ignoring the whole reason why policy was started. I send leftovers with my daughter almost every day and when I make roast beef with potatoes and carrots I also make gravy using at least a half a cup of flour or corn starch, both grain based products.

Manitoba is a very Conservative part of Canada.

Also, remember the incident in Conservative Texas earlier this month? Those wonderful Libertarian individualists down there threw out a kid’s lunch because his/her account was short THIRTY CENTS.

The problem here is not really ideology. It’s rank stupidity, and any system of foolish, selfserving rules that encourages it.

Exactly. This rule not only doesn’t provide nutrition to the child; it systematically discriminates against poor children as well.

This is why the US has supported a free lunch program since the early 1920s – hungry children don’t stay healthy, grow very fast, or concentrate very well in the afternoons.

1 Like

Not to mention that a “milk” is required. What a crock of you-know-what.

2 Likes

The only province of Canada with a NDP government is very conservative?