Mother fined $10 for not including Ritz crackers in kids' school lunch

Sounds very much like something my kid would do.

There is similar thinking at work wherever you see signs at schools admonishing parents who send dessert foods with their kidā€™s lunch and then provide fruit juices and crackers during snack time. Juice and processed grains are really just sugar. That kidā€™s lunch sounds pretty good to me.

Iā€™m not ā€œlikingā€ the post because you got sick, but because itā€™s their own fault that you threw up on the table.

3 Likes

I donā€™t see HFCS on the ingredient listā€¦ I see glucose syrup, but thatā€™s really, really different from HFCS (in terms of sugar).

1 Like

Potatoes are tubers - starchy roots. Theyā€™re technically vegetables because of this, but their nutritional value is that of a staple food such a grains or starchy fruits like plantain and breadfruit.

Nutritionally speaking, mashed potatoes is much closer to bread than it is to your ordinary ā€œvegetableā€ fare, being almost nothing but straight carbohydrates. The point of eatting vegetables is to supply your body with certain nutrients and with dietary fiber - veggies give you vitamins and help you poop, and not much else.

Potatoes donā€™t give you either, they give you straight calories - hence why they are a staple food. You can live off nothing but potatoes pretty easily, but itā€™s pretty much impossible to live off only carrots without eatting mountains of them - they just are so lacking in calories.

Grains arenā€™t much different. The primary point of eatting grain products is to supply yourself with calories from carbohydrates. Sure, whole grains add a little bit of fiber to your diet, which is nice compared to straight potatoes, but thatā€™s not the point - if you want vitamins and fiber, eat fruits and veggies. ā€œRitzā€ crackers are essentially no different nutritionally than mashed potatoes.

1 Like

Schools are getting scary.

I thought I had it bad, years back, and ever since graduating Iā€™ve felt grateful for not having to ever go back to that little microcosm of ignorance and stupidity, but more and more I see signs that things have just gotten even worse since I escaped.

If I had to put up with this sort of garbage when I was younger, Iā€™m not sure I wouldnā€™t have ended up going mad.

2 Likes

Letā€™s see - at US$2.59 per 16 oz box of Ritz Crackers, with 28 servings per box at 5 crackers per serving, someoneā€™s pocketing a lot of change.

A buck a cracker for Ritz? Seriously?

1 Like

Follow the money, as they sayā€¦

Or maybe the breadcrumbs?

Yeah, Iā€™m a little confused. The hed states the parent was fined for not including Ritz crackers, when the story says that she was charged $10 for not including a grain, and that the daycare facility (which, the last I checked, was not a school) was the one who added the charge.

And can someone familiar with the situation fill us in? I looked up the Manitoba Child Care Association, and it appears to be just thatā€“an association. It doesnā€™t seem to be any sort of government agency, nor do they appear to offer daycare services. Whatā€™s going on here? Are daycare facilities in Manitoba/Canada as a whole required to serve lunches that cover all the foodgroups as outlined in some Act or another?

So many people here seem to have all the answers, without anything more than an op-ed thatā€™s all sizzle and no steak.

Amusing that weā€™re going all ā€œnanny stateā€ when the parent is the one whoā€™s a teacher (I feel dirty saying that, too, because my wife is one of them evil teachersā€“itā€™s not their fault, honest!)

2 Likes

Plot Twist: The child has a gluten allergy.

2 Likes

At least itā€™s not Comic Sans.

1 Like

Me too. Didnā€™t think to clarify that at the time.

Thatā€™s exactly what I was thinking. And in this case, complaints about ā€œnanny stateā€ would be exactly right.

I would be really uncomfortable if I had teachers checking my lunch box every day.

2 Likes

You must have something to hideā€¦

And Cosby solved the problem of his chocolate cake not having a fruit by giving his children grapefruit juice to drink.

Not to mention being sent back to his room which is where he wanted to be in the first place.

2 Likes

Itā€™s quite possible that the single stupidest school lunch policy on the planet comes courtesy of a strange interpretation of the Manitoba Governmentā€™s Early Learning and Child Care lunch regulations (an earlier version of this article incorrectly pointed at the Manitoba Child Care Association as the source of the strangely interpreted policy).

So apparently it is a government service, but my guess is that the article is using ā€œfineā€ to mean ā€œfinancial punishmentā€ rather than ā€œfinancial punishment paid to a government authority for a crime or other offenseā€.

I wonder how many kids have complained about their teachers taking their candy for ā€œhealth reasonsā€.

1 Like

Sorry, Iā€™m not seeing how youā€™re getting that itā€™s apparently a government service. When I look up the Manitoba Governmentā€™s Early Learning and Child Care, I get a website outlining the regulations that childcare must follow to be licensed. Unless Manitoba or Canada use a different definition of licensing than Iā€™m aware of, that doesnā€™t sound like it absolutely follows that this was a government entity at fault.

Here in Canadaā€™s Pants, in Illinois, my mother-in-law had to comply with a number of State and Federal regulations to become licensed. Receiving a license no more made her a branch of the government than my carrying an Illinois driverā€™s license makes me a state employee. When my girls were in daycare, our daycare provider insisted on us complying with a number of regulations that she would be fined for if she was found in violation. I bet she wishes she thought of charging people extra.

Iā€™m not really wanting to argue semantics, but the story just makes me think itā€™s wildly inaccurate, and thereā€™s so very little information thereā€¦but then, I am commenting on a website that tends to be filled with the liberal equivalent of Freepersā€¦

My wife has done that. Itā€™s never for health reasons. Itā€™s usually because some asshole kid is teasing another kid about how he doesnā€™t have any of his own, or because the kid keeps messing with the packaging instead of paying attention. :->