Mother fined $10 for not including Ritz crackers in kids' school lunch

As stupid as this is, AND as ignorantly enforced as this situation is, the sad truth is that for every parent out there who knows very well how to feed their kid, there’s three more who have no clue.

This is disappointing, somehow I had a higher expectation of BB. It doesn’t take much to dissect this this story a bit - ‘follow the meme’
This happened nearly a year ago (read the date on the note). The mother concerned was on the board of the child care place at the the time that the procedure was endorsed/implemented (that alone suggests that there may be more to it). The place has since thrown out the policy, acknowledging that it was nonsense and implemented an alternative.
There is a great story here, but it’s one of how journalism works today, about how basic fact checking is thrown out of the window to jump on the latest bandwagon and collect hits on pages. Search the story on Google. It’s gone around the world in a day robotically copied and pasted by bone-idle journos who know it will stir up howls of righteous indignation from the lazy and opinionated whose views of the world it reinforces. There’s plenty out there to get get angry about - pick something real.

Is it possible that the very public discussion of the policy, highlighting its inanity, contributed to the decision to throw out the policy?

1 Like

I suspect the most important part of the story was the one @PSW just mentioned, that this mom was the one who made that asinine policy in the first place. This was the day care workers demonstrating just how ridiculous her policy was.

This is the kind of thing I was talking about when I mentioned early on that something was missing from the story.

2 Likes

Oh, now I understand!

Yes, if this fine was an attempt to show her the error of her ways, then that’s a pretty crucial element of the story and should be included in any story about it.

1 Like

I hope they realize that it’s almost impossible for any parent to follow the guidelines.

Bring it wheat bread? Sorry, wheat grains are a fruit (a caryopsis), so fall into the fruit guidelines, not grains.

I’m sorry, sir, your son brought in a fresh tomato-avocado-corn salsa, with corn tortillas, two slices of whole-wheat bread, and a stir-fry of tofu, seitan, eggplant and quinoa. That’s nine fruits, and no vegetables, dairy or meat, so we’re going to have to charge you $30.

3 Likes

Baby Genuises XVI: An M. Night Shyamalan film

Difficult to be sure @chgoliz , but it looks like the policy changed well before this story broke.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.