Mother hand feeds her 13-year-old son who plays video games at an Internet cafe for days at a time

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/02/26/mother-hand-feeds-her-13-year.html

Maybe some kind of island-based aversion therapy camp?

14 Likes

9 Likes

Squads of people to follow him in-game and kick his ass?

“The only way to win…”

8 Likes

Congratulations, you’re the least troubling thing in the 21st century Philippines.

11 Likes

Have the Internet Cafe ban his ass.

1 Like

I’ll just … leave this … here … where you can ignore it … because it’s filthy distasteful:

11 Likes

Plan B: Get him involved in games with a pro-tournament model and line up sponsors.

kikikkikikikikiki…

7 Likes

Aye, theres the rub. What happens when the thing you are obsessed with is a thing that you suck at? I have no idea if this kid is any good. But there are no assurances in this life.
Maybe we convince him that nutrition, cardio and proper sleep will knock milliseconds off his reaction time.

7 Likes

“I used to just nag about his online games. But that didn’t work. So I’m trying a different approach,”

26 Likes

Poor kid. He has no idea what this lack of parenting will do to him.

4 Likes

Parents of the year material.

I’m glad she makes him go to the bathroom on his own, instead of just cleaning him up after he shits his pants. That tough love will make him strong.

10 Likes

Came here for basement gamer Cartman. Satisfied.

7 Likes

Yeah, it’s kind of sad that my first thought was: “is he any good though?”

7 Likes

That’s called the Dunning-Kruger effect. It affects roughly half of our elected representatives.

1 Like

I recall when I was playing in a world ranked raiding guild in WoW. My wife would routinely have dinner sitting at my desk and a drink and my comp booted up and ready to log in. 7 days a week raiding was tough and being a top 100 guild was cool and all. But I couldn’t personally sustain it for more than a few months. It wore down not just me but obviously her too. Never again I said.

Now my boys like to do various marathons sometimes I tell them it has to be a short time frame. A weekend or set number of hours.

2 Likes

I have no idea what kind of internet service is available in the Philippines but surely it must be more cost effective to get the kid a computer and internet access at home rather than paying whatever the going rate is at an internet cafe?

3 Likes

Did anyone consider that he may have mental health or developmental issues that cause him to pull away from his family and the world in this way? This seems like a deeper issue than just game addiction to me.

6 Likes

are we absolutly certain this isnt just some guerilla-marketing BS for the game itself? just sayin.

2 Likes