Mother wolf takes a disliking to a robot wolf cub

Originally published at: Mother wolf takes a disliking to a robot wolf cub | Boing Boing

2 Likes

everyone resents surveillance on a visceral level.

8 Likes

That thing is the stuff nightmares are made of. Like a Terminator was put in charge of improving an Aibo. Looking at the eyes of the real pups and then the lifeless, soulless face of the robot, with it’s mismatched camera & glass eye, I fully understand her reaction. So I’m with Momma wolf here, keep that thing far away from her pups!

4 Likes

“The other mothers in the maternity ward were not fooled.”

15 Likes

I’m imagining Mother wolf thinking…

…“There’s something wrong with that boy.”

5 Likes

Like this but opposite:

3 Likes

kids puppets GIF by Bob Baker Marionette Theater

3 Likes
1 Like

Do wolves have a concept of the uncanny valley?

3 Likes

That the other cubs weren’t particularly bothered kind of makes me go back to my suspicion that The Uncanny Valley might not actually be a thing.

(If I recall the original claim was that young children, in particular, were very upset by the robot.)

I wonder what wolf mom is thinking when confronted with a sudden extra baby that appears to be a walking corpse. Other than “oh, I don’t think so”.

How much did it smell like a wolf cub, much less one of her cubs? Scent is way more important than looks in identifying wolves to other wolves.

30 Rock Fellow Kids GIF by PeacockTV

2 Likes

“He is being carried by the scruff of his neck, just like she would have carried one of her own cubs. This journey is the last thing he ever filmed.”

I dunno. Maybe more just like she would have carried off a rival’s cub.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.