Watch a wild Silverback Gorilla and his family meet a robot gorilla

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/01/25/watch-a-wild-silverback-gorill.html

6 Likes

The dynamic with the silverback and the curious tribe is fascinating, but I’m concerned that the one youngster is going to be traumatized for life…

14 Likes

Mother Gorilla: “That kid needs a bath. Just look at that fur.”

12 Likes
7 Likes

The red terminator eye is a nice touch.

10 Likes

What’s Gorilla for “Fuck you asshole!”?

4 Likes

I guess that gorillas don’t have a concept of Uncanny Valley. Or maybe they are just more tolerant than we are.

If I met a Thing who looked as human as that robot looked gorilla, I would have improvised a flamethrower faster than you can say “Who Goes There?”

8 Likes

I’m going to guess they haven’t seen as much TV, at least.

1 Like

5891073_phixr (1)

2 Likes

That guy’s expression when he’s being groomed by one of the females with the silverback less than two metres behind him – a mix of delight and mortal terror.

6 Likes

I’m sure they do, it’s just this wasn’t uncanny enough! I have a feeling further interactions would have triggered it. (I mean, every time you try to play with the New Guy, and he topples over dead-- that’s fairly uncanny.)

Also: I do not understand how they spend all the time to engineer this spy-gorilla and then don’t include a self-righting mechanism.

4 Likes

This is pure speculation, but perhaps they were worried that if a gorilla aggressively pushed it over, and it immediately got back up again, the gorilla would see it as a challenge and end up smashing it to bits.

1 Like

I know! To be touched by a “relative” that could easily kill you …

3 Likes

As long as they didn’t promote the uncaring, unfeeling, simulacrum to the position of leader of their tribe, they are one up on us.

8 Likes

I want one.

This thread desperately needs a Far Side.

19 Likes

I love that we can see a zipper handle on the back of the robot’s neck! (there’s a sentence I didn’t think I’d write today!)

5 Likes

Finally we’ll know how gorillas respond to finding a thing that looks like a gorilla, but isn’t.

What a time to be alive. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

so was this just a test of some sort?

they clearly didn’t need it for the video, because they had another camera there capable of filming the robot.

1 Like

Even the gorillas are in favor of impeaching Trump

2 Likes