Motorola patents a robocop autonomous car that brethalyzes, mirandizes you, calls your lawyer and collects your bail

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/09/09/i-cant-let-you-do-that-dave-2.html

4 Likes

lite-1u2

29 Likes
8 Likes

But does it let you upgrade to a Hoosegow instead of a Clink?

21 Likes

Looks like another worthless “do it on a computer” patent.

15 Likes

And if you’ve been mugged while drunk and don’t have your ID?

8 Likes

At what step are you tased and beaten?

Related question: Is there a skin color sensor?

27 Likes

Thankfully, this does not violate my dog walking autonymous car, which arrives to pick up dog, delivers dog to dog park, and then chases dog with stick into lake.

16 Likes

Everything here but the “autonomous car” portion makes sense to me. I know laws about autonomous cars needing human backup drivers are still in flux but… if you need a competent human driver, it’s not a fully autonomous car, and then wouldn’t this already be better covered by existing tech the prevents a car from starting without a breathalyzer?

Really, for me the scary idea is future extensions of this to, say, automatically sending you a ticket for speeding based on GPS and spedometer, things like that.

2 Likes

Oh, I’m sure there will be a system where the seat belt “Fails to engage” for black people, while the car takes the fastest, most expeditious route to the nearest station.

5 Likes

If they had autonomous cars, none of that would be necessary. Give them a ticket and a summary suspension that locks them out of manual mode on any car, help them into their car and tell it to take them home.

6 Likes

The Hoosegow is full up. It’s the Clink for you. (I just read Snow Crash, so I get this one… assuming I’m remembering correctly.)

The tasing and beating will stop. The running over will begin. And of course there are; it’s a self driving car. There are all kinds of sensors.

kit

I’m surprised current cars already don’t work this way. The tech is there and improving every year.

My take on this would be that it’s a backup vehicle like a paddy wagon, so the cop doesn’t have to leave the field to deliver the perp to justice. From what you wrote, it seems you are thinking it’s your own car that will arrest you for drunk driving. Which is interesting.

also…

future

8 Likes

What the hell is the matter with everyone?

There, fixed it.

19 Likes

What a fucking time to be alive.

Roger That!

7 Likes

I guess that happens during the analog portion of the arrest.

6 Likes

Yes, I was thinking about repeat DUI offenders who sometimes already have court-ordered interlock devices that require the driver to pass a breathalyzer before the car will operate.

If this is not intended to be a personal vehicle, then I really don’t understand how it would be used. Who would determine that the drunk person was attempting to drive, pull them over or otherwise get them out of a vehicle, and force them into the arrest-mobile? Or am I completely missing the point?

1 Like

Based solely on the figure in the post, there’s still a living cop doing the pulling over and arresting, then he calls for the autonomous cop car (like the old-time paddy wagon), and inserts the detainee into it. From there technology and Motorola takes over.

Looking over the figures on the page linked to from the article, I’m surprised they haven’t included a lethal death ray to use on repeat offenders.

cabbie_death_ray

5 Likes

I thought Motorola was long dead.

Shame they aren’t.

4 Likes

There are two Motorola’s now, if you were not aware.

One focuses on mobile devices and has been devoured now by Lenovo. Just the brand name continues on. (Their Chicago HQ is below my office floor and is now just called Lenovo)

The other is Motorola Solutions which is more a consulting company, but also includes STB’s. They are the one who filed this patent.

8 Likes

Sidebar: My money is on me to win in a drunken wrestling match between myself and a robot.

8 Likes