Motorola patents a robocop autonomous car that brethalyzes, mirandizes you, calls your lawyer and collects your bail

And we inch closer to Ron Goulart’s short story “Into the Shop”…

2 Likes

Your points are good and your first idea is a much better policy IMO. Interestingly, this tech exists but unsurprisingly the car companies are resisting.

I’d advocate mandatory speed restriction tech added to cars, with the ability to turn it off, but far more punitive consequences if you were unjustifiably caught speeding after turning it off.

The real problem I have is the social acceptability of speeding. It’s normal to get a speeding fine and nobody cares. It should be as unacceptable as drink driving is now.

1 Like

Yes, it takes all major credit cards.

1 Like

I would hate to have the job of cleaning this mobile toilet/vomitorium/wank-booth out at the end of the shift. Maybe that will become an element of community service.

Maybe its like the public toilets which clean themselves between uses. Mostly stainless steel on the inside.

1 Like

5-10 mph

Don’t know where you are, but in Australia (at least in Victoria) you can get a speeding ticket for being 3km/h hour over the limit, and analogue speed cameras must be accurate to 3km/h, or 3% of a given speed. Digital speed cameras must within 2km/h or 2%…

So if you’re doing 56 in a 50km/h zone, you’ll be booked for 53km/h. 106 in a 100 zone and you’ll be booked for 103km/h. Apparently it’s stricter with

Properly calibrated LIDAR is pretty damn accurate.

Due to circumstances beyond our control, this film has now gotten the recognition it deserves. Thank you

A car speedometer or a GPS can be accurate to a fraction of a km/h.

Car speedometers where I live are required to read 4% high.

Um…

1 Like

Well, would YOU pull those dudes over?

mad-max-fury-doof

2 Likes

Cop pulls you over tosses you in robo-car, robocar takes you in and starts on the paperwork, freeing the cop to get the next evil doer instead of having to haul your butt to jail.

1 Like

I may be mistaken, but I think that mine are those guys grandfathers.

and… no, no I would not.

1 Like

Same universe/continuous story arc. Either way… One cop tried to pull them over, and, well…

mad-max-roadwarrior-max-chewing

1 Like

Now he’s a gaping asshole who doesn’t even have a cool dog… is that what you are getting at?

1 Like

Sure… and your career disappears in a puff of antisemitism? But also that he stopped trying to pull them over after the first movie?

And now it’s Tom Hardy anyways…

mad-max-fury-max-thumbs-up

2 Likes

Without a cool dog or a friend on a whirlygig.

1 Like

How is this patentable? It’s just a not especially ingenious combination of various technologies, most of them known, but the unknown ones not covered by the patent. This is, in other words, just a simple combination of known technologies.

No matter the merits or demerits of the contraption in question (and I’ll give some points for the “swipe your card to pay your bail” thing), the USPTO should throw this proposal straight into the waste basket.

Looks like Motorola is preparing to becoming a patent troll as any elements of this crap is used by anyone else. I guess Moto’s legendary innovation is finally completely dead now.

That’s the kind of vehicle we really need, not Motorola’s pig-mobile.

1 Like

This is already here. But like this patent, it is used basically for a shakedown.

My mother can barely afford the cheapest car insurance. To get the cheapest rate, she has to submit to more oversight and have a box installed in her car. If it rats her out, her insurance goes up.

Just like the overdraw charges at the bank or punitive fines at the courthouse, the whole system is designed to keep you paying. If you can afford it, you can avoid this whole system, but if you can’t then you’re stuck paying and paying an paying.

1 Like