Mount Etna has its first major eruption in 30 years, and footage is spectacular (video)

Originally published at: Mount Etna has its first major eruption in 30 years, and footage is spectacular (video) | Boing Boing

7 Likes

Alright, Italy which one of you pissed off Vulcan?

Also; Wow!

13 Likes

Seems beautiful. Don’t know why the people from Herculaneum left such a bad review.

6 Likes

Different volcano, but yeah.

4 Likes

Awww, cute little smokestack on the roof of the building, trying to compete. Or maybe just waving hello

14 Likes

That was a short rest - Etna was erupting until early February with a short eruption that started last year. Previously it had been in almost continuously eruption since 2013.

Despite all the headlines, this eruption doesn’t actually seem to be much - if any - bigger than the previous one which peaked at VEI 3 (about 0.01 km3 of tephra). Though as always, the short-lived paroxysmal lava fountains on Etna are truly magnificent.

Over the weekend, the much more dangerous Popacatépetl erupted in Mexico, about 3 million people have been told they should prepare for evacuation due to the risk of pyroclastic flows caused by a collapse in the huge piles of debris built up around the vents.

11 Likes

That looks like an amazingly high lava plume. I’d be terrified if I lived anywhere near there.

3 Likes

If one lived that close, one might be tempted to invent a few gods to help explain the phenomenon.

3 Likes

I’d invent a really, really long marshmallow-roasting stick.

4 Likes

It briefly peaked at about 1000m above the crater rim which is enormous, but has gone higher in the past.

4 Likes

Thanks @MikeR ,That’s incredible! Were there any color pictures taken? Black and white would be okay too but it’s hard to tell lava from your run of the mill volcanic plume material without the color.

2 Likes

There’s some video of a smaller fountain (a mere 600m or so) here:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.