Watch the spectacular eruptions of Mount Etna, a week-long spewing lava fest

Originally published at: Watch the spectacular eruptions of Mount Etna, a week-long spewing lava fest | Boing Boing

7 Likes

From a California point of view, we had enough fire/smoke to last a lifetime.

5 Likes

From an East Coast Australian point of view ditto

Oh and…

I believe that one would say that it would be obligatory to post the following:

6 Likes

I visited Sicily for work last March (meaning, March 2019) and while looking at the scenery I was all “whoa, that’s a big ol’ volcano” and then I was like “oh right, Mount Etna”. It’s just not the sort of thing you expect to see in Europe.

3 Likes

This needs an NSFW warning.

2 Likes

They are used to it by now, even if it takes steady nerves. Etna has been (mostly) gently belching for forever and a half, and it’s a good thing that the mountain is full of holes so there’s no danger of it getting constipated and then blowing everything away, like bastard Vesuvius is wont to do.
Not the best quality, but here you can see a depiction of a mess of lava settled right in the centre of Catania in the early XIX century… and the unruffled Catanese using the residual heat to dry laundry. Now THAT’s practical thinking.

5 Likes

That is wonderful.

1 Like

Convection, the thing everyone leaves out of depictions of magma in film and TV.

As if somehow standing right next to something 10x the temperature used to cook a McNugget doesn’t affect people in popular media.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.